PDA

View Full Version : Gravel or Bare tank.

vitara1
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 10:34 AM
I have kept cichlids for over 20 years but never Discus. I think I am ready to have a crack. I went to a breeder a few years back in Palm Cove (FNQ) who insisted on having bare bottom tanks. I think it looks a bit plain. What is the general concensus on here? Gravel or no gravel? If I do use a subtrate is there a particluar type I should choose?

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 10:51 AM
Welcome to the foru vitara1.

With your experience, it's really a matter of choice.

We use bare bottom tanks particularly for breeding pairs and raising fry, simply because it's much easier to keep the tanks clean.

For display purposes, most use a planted tank. You can use just about any substrate, from sand to gravel. It's your choice. I like to use pool filter sand, driftwood and very few plants in some of the tanks where I'm looking to create a river biotope, but others will be heavily planted and a substrate like Eco Complete.

vitara1
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks for your speedy response. Somehow I don't feel very experienced now that I am going into Discus keeping. Can you please tell me what is Eco Complete?

I have a tank that is 6x2x2. The filtration I have is a mini-reef or sump. Will the water pressure from the outlet be too strong for the Discus?

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 02:35 AM
LOL we all tend to fear the unknown, but really discus are just cichlids in a different shape :P

Yes, they are fussy about their water, they need very clean and soft slightly acidic water, but that's no big deal. You probably had to alter the water for some of your cichlids anyway.

Water pressure from the outlet of the sump won't be a problem if you aim it across the surface of the water. By the time it reaches the mid layers, where discus like to swim, it will have lost a lot of it's power, especially in a 6 foot tank.

Eco Complete is simply a brand name available at most LFS and online stores, but there are a number of excellent brands. Just make sure the gravel you get doesn't alter the hardness of your water (some of the black ones do) or you'll have a constant battle trying to keep your water soft.

Jump in the deep end and get your discus. You'll be fine, really, and we're only a post away if you need help.

vitara1
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the encouragement.

Yes I have had to alter water conditions for the different species over the years. That's no major drama.

The difference this time is that the tank will be planted. In the past I have had mostly rocks. So what I am concerned with is siphoning when I do the water changes. How do you siphon a planted tank properly? I currently move rocks around as needed when I do water changes. Is siphoning around the plants enough?

ILLUSN
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 04:48 AM
I use 2 syphons, a big one for the open areas with a lot of vacume for a "deep clean", a smaller one for around the plants, so as not to disturb their roots.

vitara1
Fri Sep 21, 2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think of how much gunk builds up in the gravel now when I siphon, I don't know if you can get to it properly by siphoning around the plants. I'm considering putting the plants in little pots. If I can remember correctly terracota is the way to go?

On another note I'm thinking of getting some Peppermint Bristlenose as tankmates. Is that ok? Some hobbyists are against any sucker type fish with their Discus. Lastly Neons or Cardinals? Sorry for the million questions :oops:

ILLUSN
Sat Sep 22, 2007, 12:00 AM
with good planting you wont need to get all the gunk out, the plant roots will love it!

i cheat and grow all my swords in terracotta pots, i find it easier (cheeper) to keep up the root ferts that way, also once they get root bound they tend to flower more often, and if ever i need to move them around i can without disturbing their roots. i find terracotta pots far superior to plastic, I assume cause it porus.

peppermints are great with discus, i've got 6 in my quarentine tank waiting to go into the display tank, they're in with a new pair of discus and they leave the fish and eggs alone.

go for cardinals, they stand up to the higher temps better then neons but dont expect them to last more then 3 years or so.

vitara1
Sun Sep 23, 2007, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. So do you actually pull the pot out of the water to fertilise the plant roots?

Away from the topic, I was wondering if you knew a good forum to offload some natives? I have a Saratoga and two Barramundi. I need to do this before I can get the Discus.

ILLUSN
Sun Sep 23, 2007, 11:40 PM
yep, every few months i pull the pots up and stick in some clay balls florish tabs jobe sticks etc then drop the pot back in.

sharkies
Mon Dec 24, 2007, 05:18 AM
Gday Vitara1

Just read your question and noticed you said there where some breeders in Palm Cove ?
I would love to get some info on them as I am about to set up a 6x2x2 and also live in the cairns area.

Regards Gary

vitara1
Sat Dec 29, 2007, 10:38 PM
Hi Gary,

Unfortunately he doesn't appear to be in the industry anymore. Which is an absolute shame, he had some beautiful fish. I haven't been able to locate him on google and his contact numbers I have are no longer connected.