PDA

View Full Version : ? ailment

madasa
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 06:52 AM
Afternoon people

As I think I mentioned I would be asking several questions following my being allowed here so here is one ... i dont really know if it is applicable but would appreciate insight.

A proven pair of Royal turquoise blue in a 140litre tank furnished with a sponge filter, some wood and a breeding cone. Other than the sponge I have a cannister filter which I think is 1500l / hr. There is no current pre se within the tank.

Ammonia 0.
Nitrite 0.
Nitrate <5ppm.
PH 6.0 - 6.5.
Temp 30.

WC's 30% every 2 - 3 days and uneaten food always removed (bare bottom tank).

Feed three times a day and go between quality pellet, flake, bloodworm, brine shrimp, beefheart and discus / cichlid dinner.

The male is very interactive most of the time - approaching for food and to say hello, unlike the female who hangs back. She is my concern ...

Sometimes - normally in the day - she will darken considerably and lean to one side. When I first got her I noted a mark on her lateral line suggestive of HITH - treated with metro effectively and salt at 1tbsp to 5G. However she still does what she does - I am 99.9% certain that there isnt a swim bladder issue as she holds herself beautifully in the water when she wants to and colours up like the lights down Oxford Street at Christmas.

Sometimes when she does this I add a little salt with the water change + / - melafix and she appears to respond.

Is this just a stressed look because of WC's or activity around the tank? Or is it perfectly normal? When I got them from a reputable LFS the background I had was that a discus breeder had traded a few pairs in and these weren't in the best condition and had been nursed back to health (all others sold).

Anyone care to give me some thoughts?

Thanks

Pete

PS. My Marlboro reds which I got off Michael (aka The German) are just magnificent. He is speckling a bit and really starting to colour up much more - to the point that he is nearly as beautiful as the female. Might there be love in the air?

ILLUSN
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 07:46 AM
Sounds like stress from the water change, i have a rsg and red rose that do the same, maybe you could change a little less water, or change it a little less frequantly.

I only change 30% 2x a week in my display tank and my breeders i remove the un eaten food each night and only top up every 3 days.

i get this problem alot less since i stoped the daily water changes.