PDA

View Full Version : Worming Tablets - Drontal allwormer for dogs

Scotty Bils
Sun Sep 16, 2007, 01:18 PM
Worming the dog this month I had a look at the ingredients and thought these may be ok for fish too. Has anyone used them with their discus ? What are your thoughts? :?

Their ingredients are:

15mg Praziquantel
75mg Febantel
14.9mg Pyrantel as the embonate

"For the control of 11 species of gastrointestinal worms: roundworm, hookworm, whipworm and tapeworm in dogs, puppies, pregnant and lactating bitches."

sammigold
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 12:29 AM
I personally wouldnt do it...as you don't know what other ingredients they have used to make them palatable for the animals, which may be toxic to your fish. Not to mention how they may dirty the water.

JMO though, I dont have any medical knowledge or proof to support it.

samir
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 10:26 AM
always wondered about that as its the only wormer I see at stores. i know that panacur is ok (as long as you feed it). I'll test it out and let you know. if the fish will eat it I think it should be fine. I'll let you know.

scott bowler
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 11:04 AM
always wondered about that as its the only wormer I see at stores. i know that panacur is ok (as long as you feed it). I'll test it out and let you know. if the fish will eat it I think it should be fine. I'll let you know. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ON WHAT ?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

fish_r
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 11:05 AM
ON WHAT ?
ur rose red lmao :lol: :lol: :lol:

samir
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 11:35 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: i've got three of the brown culls that I'm keeping for med testing. i'll try one, if it kicks the bucket I'll let you know.

scott bowler
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 12:27 PM
hehe ok cool

sammigold
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 12:37 AM
Personally, I think that is very cruel... If you are testing under uncontrolled circumstances, even if the fish didnt die you might be putting them through enormous pain etc.

I know they are culls, but even they should be respected and provided with the quickest, most painless death possible, not a long drawn out agonising death as a "test" case.

I dont find it very funny or cool at all!

JMO

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 02:46 AM
Scotty it might be a good idea to shoot a PM to fishgeek.

He's a qualified vet with a special interest in fish, and keeps a number of species.

He would be the man to tell you what can and can't be used on aquarium fish.

fishgeek
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 05:28 PM
been tenting round northern europe.. the brew house's in munich are great,, get there if you can

the drugs in drontal are listed as safe on there own , though i have no knowledge of the combined effect? any synergy or other fillers effects on water quality

i if trying them would ideally try them orally..

dose's to work from individually would be
praziquantel - 5-12mgs/kg of feed
febantel is metablised to oxfenbendazol try for 1-2mgs/kg of feed(dont know the efficency of this in fish?! though i think there was some suggestion that trout liver seemed less efficent than mamalian livers tested in research siuations) so try for panacur dose and maybe a have a look at a product called... supaverm? a combination of drugs(mebendazol and closantel that has a lot of internet rumour suggestiing it kills goldfish- not the same families of medications just a warning)

you could try searching pubmed for fish and the medications to see if all ave been used in research individually

the drontal cat has only the pyrantel and praziquantel

depending on what you are wanting to treat tehn the prazi, levamisol and fenbendazol will cover most and seem to have a fair amount of use to suggest safety
another interesting one to search maybe the avermection group .. i think the product was being launched as slice or similar and was for use in salmon or trout farming

andrew

Gajowa
Wed Sep 19, 2007, 11:06 AM
Yes, Drontal can be used in water, but it has to be used as a bath in separate tank or bucket. Disolve 1 tab or more/5 liters of water (it has to be 50mg clear substance - prazi). Drontal Plus has 50 mg of prazi. Bath should take 4-6 hours long. After that you put the fish into fresh sterille aqua (need another tank) and be sure, not to use the same net you used to catch the fish from main aqua. Repeat after 7 days. Do not put the fish into a main tank for min 16 days.

Drontal and DRONTAL plus can be mixed with food; 1 tab/400gr of mix beefheart or some other mix.

I hope it helps

samir
Wed Sep 19, 2007, 11:06 AM
they refuse to eat it so thats that.

Andrew, I can't get a hold of supaverm in Australia. Apparently it is the only medication that eradicates flukes 100% in koi.

fishgeek
Wed Sep 19, 2007, 12:38 PM
http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/9/slice-for-the-control-of-sealice

i think it is quite a recent licensed fish drug, unsure if schering plough bring into aus, cant see much call for it as licence is for cold water fish

worth a look?
andrew