PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with my NEW discus

kikoman
Thu Sep 13, 2007, 08:55 PM
I recently bought 2 new discuss!
the problem is...
I already have a discuss that I bought in a different petstore!

NOW... my discuss are fighting!
can anyone help me???
I don't know what to do! :cry:

dwilder
Fri Sep 14, 2007, 02:13 AM
make sure discus are similar in size and you want atleast 4 discus in a tank 5 or 6 is better.discus fight alought and having a larger number of them takes attention of just one that might be getting picked on

kikoman
Fri Sep 14, 2007, 02:39 AM
no they're not the same size! the 2 new discus is smaller then the first discuss I bought!

sammigold
Fri Sep 14, 2007, 03:45 AM
How long have you had them? It may just be a case of them deciding the pecking order.... give them a few days to settle down... Discus do have a heirachy system so it may take a couple of days for them to sort it out...

What size is your tank? as mentioned having more is better... three is not the ideal number as there will always be an odd one out that can be ganged up on.
If you can fit and afford more then think about that as a possible solution in the future.

kikoman
Fri Sep 14, 2007, 04:55 AM
How long have you had them? It may just be a case of them deciding the pecking order.... give them a few days to settle down... Discus do have a heirachy system so it may take a couple of days for them to sort it out...

What size is your tank? as mentioned having more is better... three is not the ideal number as there will always be an odd one out that can be ganged up on.
If you can fit and afford more then think about that as a possible solution in the future.

ohh yah!? hehehe i'm goin to ask my sister again to buy me another 2 discuss but... i have a lot of fish in my tank? I only got I think a 20 gallon tank? and I have these following

and yea... the first one is 3 days??? and the 2 new one i got this morning!
but the first one is bigger than the 2!

4 guppies
3 neon tetra
2 golden tiger barb
2 rasbora
2 long fin tetra
and 3 discus

kikoman
Fri Sep 14, 2007, 04:59 AM
also i got an octagon tank!?

sammigold
Fri Sep 14, 2007, 05:37 AM
You need a bigger tank... also you need to think about the conditions they are living in.... ie. what temperature Guppies like significantly lower temperatures than Discus. also guppies like hard water and discus like soft water. neon tetras also prefer lower water temps than discus.

you should ideally be looking at one adult discus per 40 litres.... you are doing your discus no favours by putting them in a tank that is too small. They will never grow to their full potential and cannot thrive in cramped conditions.

It may be worth assessing what fish you really want and trying to create a biotope to suit them. If you throw fish in willy nilly with no regard to their preferred requirements you are already fighting a losing battle.

Have a read of some of the articles within the forum to find out how you can best provide your discus with a happy healthy life...

good luck
cheers
sammi

kikoman
Fri Sep 14, 2007, 08:43 AM
ohh okay sammigold! tnx for the info...

Tariq
Fri Nov 23, 2007, 03:15 PM
I currently have 4 discus that are about 2.5-3 inches, I am looking at buying about 4 blues that are about 2 inches, do you think that i will have a problem with the bigger fish in the tank?

sammigold
Fri Nov 23, 2007, 10:44 PM
I dont think you should have too many probs. there may be a little pushing and shoving but it should settle quickly. You are adding more than one so they should feel safety in numbers