PDA

View Full Version : Moonlight effect for discus tank

jonieeee
Wed Sep 12, 2007, 02:20 AM
Hi,
Does anyone know what is the best choice for creating moonlight effect? and where can I buy them in Australia?
Thank you.

cheers,
jon

scuba123cliff
Wed Sep 12, 2007, 06:02 AM
Why not try making your own its not that hard have a look here
cliff

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/diy/19748-make-your-own-moon-lights-less-than-1-a.html

benkk
Wed Sep 12, 2007, 09:22 AM
just wonder...

what's the purpose of using "moonlight" ??
and is it using in salt water tank or fresh water tank ??

Thanks

ILLUSN
Wed Sep 12, 2007, 11:48 PM
moon light can be used in fresh and salt water, in salt water it can help corals to spawn, and also allow viewing of nocteral fish. in freshwater it allows viewing of your fish after lights out, also a more gradual transition of lighting, so as your discus dont panic when the lights click on in the morning.

Bad Inferno
Thu Sep 27, 2007, 01:10 PM
A year ago when I first installed a small moon light I found my discus to be less aggressive toward one another during the day..I know it sounds crazy but can remember having a post about it..

I got a strip of (8) LED's in a nice clear tube from ebay..I think it came from canada, very reasonably priced they had any colour you wanted however I went for clear (white) LED's. I run them from a 9VDC and it provides a glow to the tank, they should be run from 12Vdc HOWEVER THIS SEEMED TOO BRIGHT. Thus when the tank lights are out and I move around the room they are not sooo scared with the shadows I create.

JNS
Sun Sep 30, 2007, 10:56 AM
I bought a set of Marina submersible LEDs. They were reasonably priced and come in 4 colours (red, blue, white, and green). I got a blue and two whites and arranged them around my tank. Makes a great effect and cost about $50. May still be a bit dear for some, but still cheaper than $150 for an aqua-medic moonlight.

ILLUSN
Sun Sep 30, 2007, 11:45 AM
any chance of a pic JNS, sounds good to me.

JNS
Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:59 AM
Tried a pic, but my digital camera is no good in such tricky lighting....I have read that digitals are very poor when it comes to low light, so unfortunately, I cannot give you a shot.

Have to lug out the old SLR, get batteries, get film, take picture, get processed, scan photo, post photo......don't think its going to happen...sorry.

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 01, 2007, 12:40 PM
no worries mate.

fish_r
Mon Oct 01, 2007, 01:25 PM
i just used white cold cathodes "12v" and spray painted them with a blue frosting spray to get the darkness i wanted. i didnt want it too bright cause i sleep in the same room there in.

Bad Inferno
Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:40 PM
I got mine from these guys in Canada...Come really fast and works well..I power mine from 9VDC as I thought 12V would be too bright. They have differnt colours although I just went white LEDS

http://stores.ebay.com.au/DiGiKits-com-Electronic-Components

Blybo
Thu Oct 04, 2007, 04:40 AM
I bought a set of Marina submersible LEDs. They were reasonably priced and come in 4 colours (red, blue, white, and green). I got a blue and two whites and arranged them around my tank. Makes a great effect and cost about $50. May still be a bit dear for some, but still cheaper than $150 for an aqua-medic moonlight.

I've got 3 of these in my 4 footer and I have found them to be too directed rather than giving a nice even glow. I'm going to try just 1 in the g/f's orca tank.