PDA

View Full Version : Lighting question - ways to highlight discus colours?

DIY
Thu Nov 04, 2004, 01:52 PM
I was going through some old threads on this forum & this one from Kev made me stop in my tracks. It amazed me the difference in how the discus look......

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=216

what sort of lighting do members here use?

Is there any advice on different aquarium tubes etc to bring out the different colours.

Perhaps Kev, you might remember that post & what the different sort of lighting was?

I figure backgrounds can make a big difference too?

DIY
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 01:10 PM
No takers?

is everyone just running cool white or tri-phosphor flouro's?

I thought some of the more adventerous might have tried a "red light" to get the breeders to spawn :shock:

flukes
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 01:44 PM
I use the Nec Tri-phospher and i would reccomend it over most of the bulbs you would find at your lfs.

As for it effecting discus color, it might too your eye but take away the light and you take away the color..

lesley
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 10:14 PM
I have settled on the daylight tubes to get the results I like. I do have one light with a pinkish tint at the moment that looks good at night. Doesn't give a true discus colour if you are photographing though. Blue at night looks good also, but if you use the blue for long periods, beware of algae.

parasite
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 10:28 PM
i also use tri phos tubes to enhance the colors.

chris_d
Sun Nov 07, 2004, 02:04 AM
Ii find triphoshor enhance the colour well than daylight which give the tank an yellowish feel..uuuk.

i wonder if anyone uses those more expensive lights...and if they are wothwhile interms of cost.