PDA

View Full Version : UV and lighting

cleo
Sat Sep 08, 2007, 06:26 AM
Hi I have sterilised my tank and am now going to take my time and hopefully set it up properly. What I need to know is what sort and where do I get it from - UV do I use. I have a 6x2x2 tank and also I want to have plants so therefore what is the best sort of lights to use but I don't necessarily want to pay an arm and a leg for them. I have two single lights that I used for the 4' tanks so any any advise on what type of bulbs to get would be good. Also I want to keep the tank at about 30-31 any suggestion on plants would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks

RipSlider
Sat Sep 08, 2007, 10:03 AM
chopping the question into bits:

what UV do I use?
If your talking "UV as a sterilzor", then you can't use too much. For a similar sized tank, I would use ( I do use ) a 30w unit degisned for smallish ponds. Key thing to making your decision is "Can I ensure I can get replacement quartz sleeves and bulbs for this unit?" You'll be changing them every 6 months or so, so pick someone who you have a good feeling will still be around in three years, and who will maintain a back stock of older models spare parts. Personally, I'm a big fan of Vectron, but there are plenty of other good makes.

Lights for tank:
your looking at a fairly large tank, but the plants you'll be using don't need a huge amount of light. I personally would suggest that you use a seies of t5 tubes ( perhaps 4 or 6 on 2 or 3 twin units), although 4 is more than enough. Get the 48 inch tubes, and add reflectors.

There will be just as much argument for the use of metal halides. I would say that if the tank is going in your front room, and you want to be able to actually see other things in the room, then I would go the t5 route. If issues around waste light, suspending the units etc are not an issue, Metal halides are as good.

Either way, don't swamp the tank with too much light. Unless your going for an all out aquatic garden, with additional CO2, EI method, iron injections etc, then aim for something like 1-1.5 watts per litre. you can actually go a little lower than this is you want, depending on what plants you use. Any more is just a really fast way of growning algae.

Anywho, which every you choose, find a light source that has a temp of about 5,500k to 6,700k. If your going the t5 route with multiple tubes, I've found that I like the look of the tank the most when I have 3 tubes of fairly low temp, around 5,500k, and one white atanic, at 10,000. However, that's solely personal opinion.

Plants to use:
Amazon biotope is pretty sparse, so you really are aiming to "plants that will survive the temp and look nice".

Lots of different Amazon swords look good, and some of the crypt species do well in high temp. Both have the added benefit of not needing a lot of light. Valis doesn't do so well, as it does a lot better in hard water, so I guess that is out in a discus tank.

Something that is a bit of a heresy, but looks great, is if you get a tall growing species of Java fern, split it into bits, and then plant it along the back of the tank, into the substrate itself. Grows really well, and the entire back of the tank wall is quickly covered. Needs a trim occasionally. Once again, these don't need a lot of light, and will handle the temp.

Lastly, I really reccommend putting some form of fast growing surface plant in the tank. These grow really rapidly, and then big chunks can be netted out every week, which is great for water quality. Plus, it makes a good home for a lot of species like tetra's. Some species also give out, for reasons unknown, a mild anti-biotic from their roots, which is an added benefit. Mainly,. they're there to harvest nitrate though.

Hope this helps.

Steve

cleo
Sat Sep 08, 2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the advice and the prompt reply. I will venture off to thelfs tomorrow and see what they have.

cleo
Tue Sep 11, 2007, 01:53 AM
Hi Steve, just looking through a few web sites and come up with a couple of things and would like some advice.
Lighting: would I better to go with a 5' litemaster 2000 reflector or would 2 x 3' be better. I don't want the tank to be a plant tank but a tank with plants that look good, grow well and provide homes etc for the fish. I suppose in other words I just want the plants to grow happily.

UV Sterilizer: Looking at a Pondmaster UV36W for a Fluval 404. Would this be too strong?

Thanks
Bev