PDA

View Full Version : Tank Decorating Ideas??

beadgirl05
Wed Sep 05, 2007, 10:33 PM
:?: Does anyone have any ideas on a theme, ect,,, as far as ARTIFICAL decorations for my 75 gallon discus tank?? Thanks

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 06, 2007, 04:49 AM
Artificial plants today are so well made, that you can create just about any theme you want.

You could go for the natural discus biotope with light sandy substrate, lots of twiggy driftwood and artificial amazon sword plants and giant val plants along the back. That always looks great.

Then if you want a more decorative theme, you could go with roman ruins, columns and posts on a dark substrate once again with small amazon swords and low growing plants in the front and tall plants at the back.

It's really up to you. Your discus will be quite happy with anything you choose. The only thing I don't really like with discus is blue gravel, but then again, that's just a personal choice.

These fish have such magnificent colours I'd rather have the substrate and background a fairly neutral colour and let the fish provide the amazing colour in the tank.

mich
Thu Sep 06, 2007, 07:00 AM
Ello :D

I am in the process of setting up a 6x2x2.5 tank right now, just got it delivered last sunday, I too am giving the real plants a miss for now, i have some great wood in there and the large sword plants like merrilyn says do look great and i dont have water in there yet, ive used a clay mix colourd gravel, fairly dark looks great with the wood and some pebble stones too.
I might be biased but i think its gonna look great, will be finishing off this week and filling on Saturday, so i can keep an eye on tank for leaks, paranoid !!!!

ill get some picks very soon : ) ps i have sore hands from cleaning the gravel out in the bathtub!!! :wink:

pps, merrilyn, do you have a pic of the taller plans you think would look good in the background. vals ??????or anyone thanks

apistodiscus
Fri Sep 07, 2007, 08:07 AM
If you don't want to go for real plants, leave the artificial one out as well. IMO they just look plain horrible.

My suggestion is a sand substrate plenty of bog/magrove or mopani wood and a couple of largish round stones. looks a million dollars if done properly and is very low maintenance.

You could always sticka bit of java fern in there. Grows basically anywhere and your fish will like it

mich
Fri Sep 07, 2007, 08:16 AM
I guess its just personal choice again. :D

If you put the plastics in between the wood etc it can look good though.

Anyhoo enjoy the set up !

apistodiscus
Fri Sep 07, 2007, 08:17 AM
Foget, I was talking of something like this
http://www.diskus-shop.com/images/articles/wohnzimmerbecken2.jpg