PDA

View Full Version : Black Ghost Knifefish

Aurora
Thu Nov 04, 2004, 02:44 AM
Are Black Ghost Knifefish OK to keep with Discus, Cardinals and Black Widows?

Are they OK in the same conditions like 30C, same pH, hardness, etc?

Do they do the same sort of job as the catfish like cleaning up the bottom of the tank of uneaten food, etc?

flukes
Thu Nov 04, 2004, 03:12 AM
They are not know for their cleaning ability, they should do fine with those fish.

Only prob is at night they might scare the plates a bit, but id see how it goes..

Aurora
Thu Nov 04, 2004, 03:15 AM
do you know if they are OK with 30C though?

sunshinediscus
Thu Nov 04, 2004, 05:49 AM
The black ghost will eat your cardinals when it get's big but otherwise will be fine in your tank.

Rod

www'lewisdiscus.com

Billy
Thu Nov 04, 2004, 07:28 AM
i hav BGK in my tank, it is very active at night when the light is off. It will eat small fish likes cardinal.

i keep my BGK in 29C, its doing great. and they are very quick for foods.

Aurora
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 01:50 AM
Thanks.

I just read that they grow to like 20-24" (51-61cm)

Is that only if there keep in really big aquariums?

For the people who have them, how big are your tanks and how big are your knifefish?

My tank is 4ft 240L.

weird
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 01:59 AM
If keeping with Discus, and doing required amount of water changes ... you might fool the Black Ghost Knifefish into growing big.

Aurora
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 03:39 AM
but I dont really want it to grow that big. It will be much too big for the tank.

So your saying that it wont grow that big if the conditions arent just right though?

pyro
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 07:24 AM
Its much like saying when you were a baby if we put you in a box you wouldn't be as tall as you are now . It is the same with fish can be done but not fair on the fish. Just my opinion

BlackGhost
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 07:55 AM
Hey,
I dont have mine in with discus ...but... they do prefer the same requierments as discus. But once they grow to a largeish size they will eat the tetras. They dont scavange food off the bottom. Mine at the moment is in a 3 foot 30 gallon tank and is around 18cm. Will get a new one for him.
Hope i helped.

weird
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 11:21 AM
Aurora, Kev mentioned in an earlier post that growth restrictions on fish are because of either 2 reasons , and this is my remembrance on them as opposed to showing you the post, it is either because of the growth homone inhibitor produced by the fish or the amount of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate (one of those 3 mentioned in the post) in the water ... anyhow the regular water changes required for discus will remove both of those ... so fish will grow big , almost to any adult size when kept with discus.... anyway this is the conclusion that I made when I read Kevs post ... I could be wrong....

Btw I love ghost knife fish ... I think they are super kewl ... I always think of rams whem I look at their heads.