PDA

View Full Version : Does Prime harm plants?

Greggy
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 02:03 AM
I was wondering if the various salts used in water-agers like Prime do any harm to aquarium plants. Last week I skipped changing 25% of my tank water on the weekend (don't panic my NO3 is never over 5ppm) which meant I hadn't changed water for two weeks. NO3 readings didn't change at all (still under 5ppm) but the plants seemed to have a growth spurt and looked healthier than ever. Then when I did a water change (with double dose of Prime as usual) on the weekend just gone the plant's 'growth spurt' was over the very next day several plants where 'drooping' and I've often noticed this in the day or two after changing water. Its like every water change knocks the plants around. Fish don't seem to mind and are healthy & very hungry.

So could water changes have something to do with the plants doing worse? Surely the reduced NO3 from a water change couldn't make that much of a difference as I'm still leaving behind 75% of the NO3. Could the salts in Prime be hurting the plants? Perhaps I should go back to a single (or even a half) dose of Prime with water changes from now on and see what happens.

Your thoughts?

Regards,

Greggy

garikfox
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 02:18 AM
I would have to agree with you, A good healthy plant(s) in the wild never recieve chemicals like "Prime". :wink:

ILLUSN
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 02:51 AM
I've never had a problem with prime and plants, mine grow so quick i give them away, i use 3-4x doses every change (twice a week).

TW
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 03:30 AM
Never had a problem with Prime in regards to my plants. I belong to a planted forum on another site. Prime always seems to be the product of choice by the planted nerds there.

nornicle
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 03:56 AM
Yes prime has been known to cause some plant growth problems with symptoms like twisted thing leaves and not growing straight. i dont know that much beyond it, i still use it because i dont care, but other have told me to use aquatan etc.