PDA

View Full Version : Metal/Chloramine water filtration

Top_Bhoy
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 11:18 PM
Does anyone know whereabouts something like this can be purchased in Oz? I haven't came across something similar s yet but I'm sure they must exist. Shops I have spoken to simply recommend the use of chemicals - which I completely disagree with.

Here is the link: click here (http://gbdiscus.com/store/erol.html#590X912)

It basically removes microscopic metals and chloramines from the water without altering the chemistry. I'd rather not use chemicals to deal with these issues as I believe that, whilst any metals present may be rendered toxin free, they are still present in the water. Consequently this will have a detrimental effect upon the fish's gills plates and the fish, no matter the species, suffers long term, irrevokable damage.

I've used one before and it can either be simply attached to a tap as required or permanently installed and from memory is good for 2000 UK gallons before some of the filters need replaced.

Scotty Bils
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:43 AM
Water out of the Puratap http://www.puratap.com.au is the only water I use in my tank.

Puratap are based in Adelaide too. Have a look at their website - let me know what you think (everyones opinion appreciated). I have been using this water for about 9 months.

I also have an external UV in my tank so this would help keep the water "clean" in other ways too.

I have had no problems using it. The only drawback is that it takes 4 and a half minutes to fill 15 litres. Oh well, I figure it is worth it and there is heaps I can do while I wait! Glad my tank is only 280 litres....no I am not I want a bigger tank!!! :P

Cheers
Scott

garikfox
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:50 AM
R/O = The Real McKoy !

ILLUSN
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 07:13 AM
i'm with garikfox, if your going to get a water purification device go RO

Top_Bhoy
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 08:18 AM
Cheers for the replies to date though I may have a difference of opinion with some of you guys :D I wouldn't shut my mind to it but I'm not convinced RO is always the best way, however I accept that it has its place. IMO, it is but one solution and admittedly its not one I have ever in the past due to having had ideal water chemistry - just needing to clean it up, so why the need to use RO? Many people seem to have as many problems in reconstituting the water after it has been de-mineralised, though I also accept others do it successfully quite easily.

The main issues which I have with RO usage is the additional costs in continuous use of chemicals and minerals - and even more importantly in the current climate, the cost in waste water through RO usage, which can amount to a lot of waste water. Some RO systems are extremely inefficient (depending on various parameters).

I'm looking to take basic clean water and then reduce the PH and Hardness, where necessary, through filtering it via peat in the external filter. Granted I'll need to play with this system (and a few other tricks) for a few weeks until I get it right but I'll feel better knowing the amount of waste water and the cost to my pocket will be much reduced.

If this method doesn't work (and I have no 100% confidence it will as I am in a bit of an experimental phase here never having tried it), I'll need to reconsider discus and go for other species. The basic tenet remains though whatever species of fish is involved, fish need a good supply of clean water. The type of unit I have mentioned or even the Puratap described by Scotty Bils should give that clean water.

Scotty Bils, how expensive is the Puratap to install and then maintain and is it a portable or fixed system? It looks very similar to what I described ie a prefilter and a carbon block cartridge. The system I have described can be portable and to my mind is suitable for my rental where I am limited in installing such things without having to get permission (maybe even having to leave it behind should I move). Any more info on it would be good - the website is very basic. Being an engineer, I'd have liked something a bit more technical :)

Cheers

apistodiscus
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 08:33 AM
Does nobody rememeber ion exchangers? No waste and easy to regenerate. And a hell lot cheaper to run than either an RO unit or a HMA folter

Scotty Bils
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 08:40 AM
You are best to give the puratap people a call to discuss price, tech specs and options etc.... I had mine installed (it was $200-$300 from memory), you have a choice of single or double filtered - I chose double. There is a cost to service it each year to change filters etc.

My Puratap is installed in a fixed position in the kitchen sink so has a separate tap fo the filtered water. I would dare say they would sell them to you separately if you want to install yourself.

I am with you regarding the R/O wter. I talked to quite a few people and they advised me against R/O due to the fact that you basically have to reconstruct the water. I am sure R/O water has its place in the hobby for breeders etc but seemed a little over kill to me.

This is a extract from the Puratap website found here http://www.puratap.com.au/carbon-block-filters.html-

"Water is forced through the pores of the densely compacted carbon block, where a combination of mechanical filtration, electrokinetic adsorption, and physical/ chemical adsorption take place to reduce a wide range of contaminants. Solid Carbon Block technology can reduce chlorine, taste and odor problems, particulate matter, and a wide range of contaminants of health concern -- cysts (cryptosporidium and giardia), VOCs (pesticides, herbicides, and chemicals), certain endocrine disrupters, Trihalomethanes (cancer-causing disinfection by-products), heavy metals (lead, mercury), turbidity, MTBE, Chloramines and asbestos. Solid carbon block filters do not remove healthful, naturally-occurring minerals, require no electricity, and do not add salt or silver to the water. Our Solid Carbon Block filters provide refreshing, delicious, and safer drinking water"

Squid
Wed Sep 05, 2007, 11:41 AM
Have a look at what Aquasonic can offer. I use to buy column filtration units that used ion exchange resins to remove heavy metals and then embedded charcoal to clean th rest. they had them 5 years ago. Try this link

www.aquasonic.com.au (may need to drop the .au Its been a while)

Squid

Squid
Wed Sep 05, 2007, 11:53 AM
Just to satisfy my curiosity, I went to the Aquasonic site (it does need the '.au' bit in the address). They have all you'll need. here's a link to their database for the heavy metal sponge. Fully rechargable resin that you can add to a pouch and add to a canister filter etc. They also still sell the filtration towers that you put the resin into. Add the hose to one end and good stuff comes out the other.

here's the link

http://www.aquasonic.com.au/catalogue/database.php?id=1398