PDA

View Full Version : Is this a disease.. ?

jonieeee
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 11:45 AM
Hi all,
Just wondering i have this new small discuss and now I think there is a black patch on one side of the body is there something wrong with my discus ? (a disease or stress)
I've attached the picture below.
Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks very much.

cheers
-jon-

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 12:12 PM
Welcome to the forum jonieee.

Is the dark area definatley only on one side of the fish, because it looks to me like where the internal organs should be on a normal fish. Because your little guy is pale in colour, he's still a bit transparent and I think you're just seeing normal colouration.

If you're still worried, then a few more photos might show it up a bit more clearly.

jonieeee
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 12:35 PM
Welcome to the forum jonieee.

Is the dark area definatley only on one side of the fish, because it looks to me like where the internal organs should be on a normal fish. Because your little guy is pale in colour, he's still a bit transparent and I think you're just seeing normal colouration.

If you're still worried, then a few more photos might show it up a bit more clearly.

Hi Merrilyn,
THank you for the reply.
The dark are is only on one side of the fish I think it is near the gill area.
Here I attached more picture to make it clearer.
Thank you.

cheers,
jon

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 12:45 PM
Okay, yes I see what you mean.

Is he eating normally, and more importantly is he pooping normally?

I don't think it's anything to worry about, but I'd keep a close eye on it to see if changes colour or size.

jonieeee
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 12:59 PM
Hi,
I just get the discus today, and I haven't give any food yet. Actually It just get more orange than the first time I get it from the store

I got a nitrite reading around 0.025-0.05mg/L,
ammonia 0,
nitrate around 5-10ppm
Temp 26.6C
pH 7.0-7.2

May this be caused by a little bit of nitrite in the tank or my other parameter from the tank?
THank you.

cheers,
jon

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 01:31 PM
The nitrite reading's pretty low, so no, I don't think it's that, although it's not good to have any kind of nitrite reading, so keep checking the levels.

Your temp is pretty low for a juvenile discus. It needs to go up to 30 degrees for the health of your little guy.

Is it possible the fish already had that mark on him before you bought him, or do you think it's only happened since he's been in your tank?

jonieeee
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 10:38 PM
Hi,

I think it has faded now, I up the temp to 28.5C. it might be the temperature is too low. Thank you for your help :)

cheers,
Jon

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 07:11 AM
That's good. Juvenile fish like it really warm, so you can even bump it up to 30.

garikfox
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 01:37 AM
Juvies = 86F

Medium/Adolescent = 84F

Adult = 82F

These are "Exact" Amazon Discus Conditions.

FYI - They breed spawn in 82F water. Then once born they goto 86F to repeat "There" life cycle. :wink: