PDA

View Full Version : What type of food should i feed my discus?

croydon_downunder
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 07:46 AM
Topic!!!

scott bowler
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 10:01 AM
the best thing to feed discus is a whole range of things frozen food flake ,and live food too.
I use beef heart, breeders blend flake ,and pellets,i also feed blood worms, brine shrimp. live food like black worms and mozzi wrigglers ,so i think fed as many things that you like and can.

Andy123
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 10:32 AM
Hi there...
I too feed a mixture.
I feed tetra colourbits and vegeflake in the morning and bloodworms/brineshrimp at night(alternating nights)

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 11:37 AM
I agree with the guys croydon. Variety is essential.

Start with a good quality flake or pellet food. There are lots of good brands on the market. One that a lot of us find successful is Breeders Blend. Dry foods have added vitamins and minerals, so you know your fish are getting all they need for good health.

You might like to feed that first thing in the morning, then later in the day, you can feed your own home made beef heart mix, frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis shrimp or krill or brine shrimp or maybe frozen plankton.

croydon_downunder
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 02:13 AM
Thanks for your help.
Have ya got a brand name for the quality flake/pellet food you guys feed?
Also how do you feed beef heart? get rid of the fat and feed it raw? (silly question) do most butchers sell beef heart?
and my final question is about live food. I was told that i shouldn't feed discus any live food.
Live food may contain bacteria, is that true?

scott bowler
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 08:13 AM
hi croydon as for the flake i use breeders blend. good stuff. you may see mac on this forum. its one of his products and he can answer any questions you have about it; oh he is a sponsor too.

Beef heart you can get from your butcher. you may have to ask for it to be ordered .and to prepare it there is some great ideas on this forum. have a look in food ,nutrition post . hope that helps

garikfox
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:56 AM
Hands Down !

Omega One -Super Color Flake

They Love it !

(only flake that discus will eat actually, lol)

garikfox
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:57 AM
Hands Down !

Omega One -Super Color Flake

They Love it !

(only flake that discus will eat actually, lol)

My opinion NEVER beefheart, Always Flake+Brine Shrmp.

garikfox
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:58 AM
Ooops I was quoting someone else, srry bout that. :oops:

apistodiscus
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 08:05 AM
No beefheart mix here either, discus cannot process fat from warm blooded animals. Fish, shrimp, flake, spinach, garlic, multi vitamin, mussel mix. White worm three times a week. No bloodworm, never, even the gamma radiated, shock frozen stuff still carries too many pathogens and othernasties. They are bred in chiken manure. You make up your own mind. Some granulate food, tetra prima is good, JBL and Sera do excellent stuff.

boydie
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 09:22 AM
i feed my discus on a recipe that siuted me and my discus and they love it.
deffinately go to food and nutition.this whole site is amazing.
have fun boydie.

boydie
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 09:24 AM
i feed my discus on a recipe that siuted me and my discus and they love it.
deffinately go to food and nutition.this whole site is amazing.
have fun boydie.