PDA

View Full Version : Water Change Question

croydon_downunder
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 07:43 AM
If the tank temp is around 29-30C and the tap water is around 15C.
Do i need to get the tap water around the 30C mark for a 10% water change?
I have a 4 feet /bare bottom tank, and i plain to do 10% daily changes after meal time.

scott bowler
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 10:07 AM
you need to get a ageing barrel , to age your water strate from the tap isnt a good thing, you need to get the water to the right temp and ph before you put it ion the tank . can i suggest that you do a lot of reading here on this forum before you go out and buy your first fish. learn as much as you can here and then go out and get the fish.The more you read the better propared you will be . good luck dont how ever be affraid to ask any questions you may have

croydon_downunder
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 10:50 AM
I use a large rubbish bin to age the water and use the water after 24 hours.
How long do you have to age it for?
For the PH, since im doing regular water changes everyday, im assuming that the water i put in will be very similar to the water i have in the tank?

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the forum croydon.

Where are you from? The area you live in will determine how your water should be treated before you put it in your discus tank.

First thing to do is test your tap water, straight from the tap, and again after it has been standing for 24 hours. That gives you a base to work from.

Post your pH and GH readings, and we'll take it from there.

croydon_downunder
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 02:01 AM
Thanks merriyn

I live in sydney (10km away from the CBD).

Robdog
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 02:48 AM
If it's a 4ft tank you are maybe looking at 250-300L???
If you are only going to do a 10% WC then I wouldn't bother so much with the aging barrel seeing as it's only going to be about 2-3 buckets per change.
Dose each bucket with Prime or another good water conditioner and dump it in. Add a bit of warm water to the bucket if it is really cold.
Note: these are the quick and lazy WC instructions.

garikfox
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 06:01 AM
Wooo, 10% a day, Just perfect ! 8-) :P :wink: