PDA

View Full Version : Extra shy all of a sudden

Professor_J
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 02:07 AM
So I have a bunch (7) of always hungry discus - ranging in size from about your half dollar to about 1.5cm more in diameter.

They have done reasonably well so far and used to like me - coming around to say hi whenever I went near the tank and that. Now they've gone all shy - this is in the last week.

Admittedly they haven't had as much love as they're used to - only 2 x 30% water changes in the past 7 days instead of their usual 3, sometimes only 2 major meals in a day instead of their usual 3 and the odd snack. I've also been dropping the temp in the tank back down to 88 and slowly cutting out the salt through water changes (someone brought home ich so they were cooking in salty water for a bit).

Now they've gone all shy. pH is at 7-7.2 ammonia 0, nitrite, 0, nitrate hanging around 10-20 ppm.

Any idea what could make them unhappy and shy all of a sudden? How do I get them back to their usual happy and sociable selves?

boydie
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 08:39 AM
i had simmilar prob a year or so ago.i moved my fish into a bigger tank with better filtation and now they are going great guns.
have fun.
cheers boydie.