PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Eyes

DiscusNoob
Sat Sep 01, 2007, 03:26 PM
I was discus shopping recently and from articles i've read I gathered that fish with red eyes are the go. But I noticed the discus with cloudy eyes or white are seem as active and normal as the discus' with red eyes.

Could someone please shed some light on why cloudy eyes are bad?

ILLUSN
Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:19 PM
its often a response to a drop in ph, in my tanks it's been caused by a bad batch of peat or a build up of organics in my canister filter, fish always recover with aclean up. not all discus should have red eyes, real blue diasmonds and true ocen greens are suppose to have yellow eyes.

DiscusNoob
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 12:56 AM
So if discus do have cloudy eyes do they recover back to red eyes later on?

ILLUSN
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 01:29 AM
mine do

samir
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 07:26 AM
Could someone please shed some light on why cloudy eyes are bad?

why is a broken arm bad ?

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 12:00 PM
When you say 'cloudy eye' are you referring to a white film over the outside of the eye, or do you mean the eye colour?

A healthy discus can have a yellow, golden, pinky red or deep red eye. Just the same as people have different coloured hair. That's just a normal part of discus. If you were looking for a show fish, then you would probably select one with a dark red eye, but otherwise it's not terribly important.

A white film over the eye is something different altogether. That's related to a health issue, and can have a number of causes, from water quality to a bacterial infection.

DiscusNoob
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 05:50 AM
Yes I was refering to the eye colour.

Thanks for the reply.

DiscusNoob

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 06:58 AM
Just to clarify, some of the strains have been bred to have a white eye (on a white fish) or a golden eye (on a golden fish) so it's part of the intended colouring.

Eye colour doesn't change much as the fish matures, so if it has started with a yellow eye, then it will always have a yellow eye.

DiscusNoob
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 07:51 AM
Thanks again for all the repliy guys. :D

DiscusNoob