PDA

View Full Version : Lighting- The Natural Way

Robdog
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 11:54 PM
Anyone know of somebody that has used a skylight or something similar as the main or supplementary source of lighting for a planted tank?

It seems that this is becoming popular within marine tank circles but I can't see why it wouldn't work for FW planted tanks too. I'm sure there is an initial outlay which could be fairly costly and it would be a fairly permanent fixture (no tank relocations-good AND bad thing) but maybe in the long run, power savings would level it all out. :ug

THIS (http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=169483&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=) is a good example from a guy in Adelaide from the MASA forum.

Any ideas??

ILLUSN
Fri Aug 31, 2007, 02:56 AM
The inital outlay isn't too bad, the easiest way seem to be to use tubes as you can controle how much light hits your tank (more tubes more light makes it up/downgradeable more then a single big square skylight) the smallest tubes you can get redily are 250mm tubes which cost about $160 a tube (+ install), bigger tubes are available at more cost (up to 600mm tubes ~$200 ea). instalation and location seem to be the pain. if you have tiles they supply kits that bolt in, if you've got colorbond you'll have to cut a hole and get some good flushing. The sky tubes are deisgned to be "un obtrusive" so they dont extend much above the roofline, fine if you've got a north facing gable but if your facing south you'll be in the shade all day except for maybe 11am-2pm (at least thats how the shadows move on my roof).

Robdog
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 02:41 AM
That doesn't sound too bad. I'll be going with colorbond but i guess it would be cheaper to get them put in on construction of the roof rather than retro fit them later on.
I guess they'll have to be cyclone rated where I plan on having them too :roll: :lol:

ILLUSN
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 04:13 AM
i dont think they'll be much of a problem for cyclones, they only extend 30mm if that above the roofline (hence the problem when you build the fish room on the wrong side of the house)

Kingkat
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 04:51 AM
They are a problem in cyclones like the last one. Any roof penetrations are a hazard. Usually from a branch or a piece of someone elses roof sliding up your roof and taking them out. As a builder who lived through Cyclone Larry, Winifred, etc I wouldn't recommend them up here. Of all the roofs I replaced/repaired after the cyclone not one put their skylights or whirlybirds back on. If I didn't live in a cyclone region I would definitely put them in. There is nothing like natural photoperiods. Just my thoughts anyway.
Cheers,
David.

Robdog
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 01:14 PM
I think this guy from Adelaide had some problems with the regulations concerning his roof install too. He mentioned that he lived in a bushfire prone area and there was restrictions on having extended tubes through the roof because of melting dangers.
He finally went for a toughened glass option which seems to have done the job.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h231/Rod_the_Roofer/1009.jpg
Dave, do you think something like that would be allowed up there???

Kingkat
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I have installed toughened glass ones in the past. The only issue is that a flying object can still take it out via the flashing which leaves a damn big hole in your roof. It might never happen again for 50 years but it could happen next year. At the Australian Banana Growers Congress recently they had speakers from CSIRO warning growers that the threat of cyclones is increasing. Any newish houses that were built to the current code sustained no damage unless they were hit by flying objects. I had a piece of Woolworths roof about 20 ft X 12 ft impale the roof of one of my commercial premises in the CBD which caused about $65000 damage otherwise I would have sustained no damage on that property. You are building in a new suburb so maybe it wouldn't be too bad there. I have read that article a few times and been very tempted but having lived here for 33 years i won't be putting one in.
Cheers,
David.

Kingkat
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 11:43 PM
PS, We don't need skylights here. We can keep discus outdoors!

Robdog
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 01:24 PM
You're the expert mate ;) ('I still might look into it though' says my stubborn streak)

Robdog
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 01:27 PM
I've spoken to a mate who lives in the suburb where our place is and he said that through Larry they were pretty sheltered from a lot of the storm being surrounded by hills. Dunno if that makes sense though. And also the centre of it was an hour south anyway.

Kingkat
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 11:06 PM
Yeah it is a bit more sheltered there and being a new suburb you shouldn't have much stuff flying around except for cheap garden sheds. Also check with whoever you will be insuring with as some companies are now charging more if you have skylights or whirlybirds. Any idea which builder you are going to use up there?

Robdog
Thu Sep 06, 2007, 02:36 AM
Nothing certain yet. We are still looking at plans and stuff at the moment but I have already put my foot down on the 10ft wall tank!

Any ideas for some builders? I think they are all in great demand whoever we go with.

SOLOMON
Thu Sep 06, 2007, 04:28 AM
Have a look at this thread robdog, http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquascaping/29267-heart-darkness-cube-diary-step-step.html