PDA

View Full Version : How do you get Discus to Eat Pellets or Flakes

TW
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 08:28 AM
None of my juvi Discus will touch flakes or pellets. When I'm dropping these in the tank, the discus know that my presence & what I'm doing should = food. They're there waiting for it, but just plain ignore it as it sinks to the ground.

They love home made beef heart (recipe from this site), and can't get enough of it, and really I'm happy enought for them just to eat that, some brine shrimp & the occasional bloodworm.

My worry though is that we're going away for 11 days holidays & I need to get my daughter to feed them while I'm away. If they'd take flake/pellets it would be less hassle for her.

I've read a lot about juvi discus saying it's important that they get 3 meals a day, so they don't stunt. Otherwise, I'd try just offering them pellets & nothing else for a while until they are so hungry, they eat it. But I don't want to stunt them.

Any tricks of the trade you can suggest? All suggestions appreciated.

samir
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 08:53 AM
Otherwise, I'd try just offering them pellets & nothing else for a while until they are so hungry, they eat it.

I'd just try that. what pellets are you using ? most discus eat tetra colour bits pretty readily.

TW
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:51 PM
I have Spectrum Grow, Spectrum Cichlids and Tetra ColorBits. I have Spectrum Discus on order. So far, they just ignore them, even though they come to the front of the tank when I sprinkle them. They watch the other fish eat them.

So do you think I should try withdrawing all other food, other than pellets. How many days should I let them go before without eating, before giving in & giving a meal of beef heart?

Davo
Fri Aug 31, 2007, 02:04 PM
I have had picky discus and I used Seachem Garlic Guard. I soaked colour bits in a small container of garlic guard for a couple of seconds and then fed the discus. They ate it straight away.

Dave.