PDA

View Full Version : Help...White fluffy stuff on rocks, plants and glass

springrolls
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 01:28 AM
Hi all,

I have a 2ft planted tank which i started about 10 wks ago. About 2 days ago I noticed some white fluffy stuff on the gravel and some small white fluffy patches on the glass. I've tried siphoning most of it off. Did a 20% water change. But today I noticed some of my plant leaves were starting to get covered with it.

There seems to be more of it today on the gravel, plants and rocks than there was yesterday.. :(

The tank has no fish in it.
I'm using ADA Amazonia soil and power sand.

Can anyone tell me what this is ... ? bacterial bloom ? Fungus ?

More importantly... how do i get rid of this !??

Thanks in advance...

ozarowana
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 08:39 AM
Is it possible to get some pics of it? Fluffy stuff shouldn't grow on glass???

springrolls
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 10:01 PM
not sure if you can actually see it.. doesn't turn out that well on my camera..

these pics were taken about an hour after cleaning the glass, siphoning out as much as i could and doing another 20% water change.

does anyone know what this is ?

ozarowana
Thu Sep 06, 2007, 03:29 AM
I'm not sure what it is. Looks like some kind of fungus. Wipe your glass down and gravel vac when you do a water change. You should be able to get it under control. Fungus usually only grows on dead matter.

springrolls
Mon Sep 10, 2007, 04:19 AM
thanks ozarowana...

since i had no fish in there i did two 50% wc with the gravel vac... its cleared up alot now. hope its going to be ok from now on. thanks again.. :)

ILLUSN
Mon Sep 10, 2007, 07:01 AM
Its a bacteria, kinda like cyanobacteria, it wont be a broblem once the tank gets established, i had guppies and some kind of clear freshwater shrimp/prawn eating the stuff (till the guppies ate the shrimp)