PDA

View Full Version : Red Rose Pair

ILLUSN
Sun Aug 26, 2007, 01:22 PM
I sware theres something in the water :P

my Red rose pair that I've been growing up for a few moths now.

What do you all think?

samir
Sun Aug 26, 2007, 01:27 PM
very nice. i like the blue on the fins. where's the cone ??

scott bowler
Sun Aug 26, 2007, 02:25 PM
hehe i think its in the air hehe fish going off every were at the moment

ILLUSN
Sun Aug 26, 2007, 11:25 PM
very nice. i like the blue on the fins. where's the cone ??

sorry samir, no cone they're still in the ******* comunity tank as i havn't built the breeding rack yet.

hehe i think its in the air hehe fish going off every were at the moment

Yeah Scott I'm starting to agree, the Turks, Pigions, Blue diamonds, whiptails and now the Red Rose all in 1 week :!:

nymf
Mon Aug 27, 2007, 09:39 AM
Awsome, im jealous :)

scott bowler
Mon Aug 27, 2007, 10:01 AM
they are nice fish too by the way Jothy

Erk
Mon Aug 27, 2007, 01:19 PM
I agree with Scott...very nice looking fish! I hope you get some nice fry :D

Then you can send me one :lol: :P :wink:

I do like the deep red, and the blue on the fins!

Great job!

ILLUSN
Mon Aug 27, 2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks guys, bad news, thye ate the eggs on the night of day 2 (not supprised) We'll see how they go in their own tank.

Erk
Mon Aug 27, 2007, 11:40 PM
Darn! haha....Im sure you will have no trouble in a tank of their own

Good luck I guess :P :wink: Dont forget to send me a baby one then :wink: :lol: :P

ILLUSN
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 01:15 PM
Sorry all forgot to put this photo up. pair are in their own tank now and just ate their first batch of wrigglers.

samir
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 02:55 PM
how many wrigglers did you get ??? did you do a water change before they ate them ?

ILLUSN
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 11:46 PM
yeah Samir i got about 8-10 they were hard to count, i did do a water change, just 5-8% just enough to get the crap off the bottom, left the light on instead of on the timer. woke up that morning and all gone.

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:41 PM
since the last update the fish have spawned twice more a 30 fry batch that lasted bout 12 days and now a massive 60+ fry batch.

heres photos of the 30 fry spawn these guys got to day 12 before mum and dad spawned again (this is all that was left of the 30 fry spawn before they spawned again).

samir
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:47 PM
what happened to the older fry when they spawned again ???

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 02:00 PM
got eaten mate, one by one, from what i saw it was dad doing the eating.

samir
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 02:21 PM
remove the eggs if they spawn again.

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 10:03 PM
ok no worries, they seem really keen on this batch of young, its suprising as this time dads doing the bulk of the work, the last few times it was all mum

samir
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 04:41 AM
if its a large enough bath they usually don't eat them.
good luck, try and get them on beefheart as soon as you can. they should start taking a paste at around 2 weeks.

XPLOSV
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 05:54 AM
Yeah Scott I'm starting to agree, the Turks, Pigions, Blue diamonds, whiptails and now the Red Rose all in 1 week :!:

Waahhh soooo good to hear Jothy. Well done.

I love Red Rose. (my 3 died from that last tank explosion)

Let me know when you have them up up for sale.

:)

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 06:47 AM
Let me know when you have them up up for sale

No worres I'll be happy if i get them up to a size i can sell LOL

samir
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 06:49 AM
I'm sure you will mate.

XPLOSV
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 06:51 AM
Let me know when you have them up up for sale

No worres I'll be happy if i get them up to a size i can sell LOL

of cause you can mate...

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 01:22 PM
heres an update, babbies are growing well, they love the bbs, unfortunately my last batch didnt hatch, so they're on the frozen stuff for a day or 2 which they're not too fond of :?

Mum and dad are doing a great job of caring for their young, and i think the babies have worked out that I = food.

hoping to have them onto finly ground beefheart within a week or 2.

samir
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 01:30 PM
clean that thermometer :P looking good

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 01:39 PM
clean that thermometer looking good

Told you mate Dad goes crazy at me the moment the sponge goes anyware near the tank!

Merrilyn
Tue Oct 30, 2007, 04:27 AM
Awsome job mate, well done :D

Take a set of photos every week and show us the progress.

That's a stunning pair you have.

ILLUSN
Sat Nov 03, 2007, 09:58 PM
well it's sunday which is fish room day, snaped a couple of pics of the bubs, they're growing VERY quick, I've actually noticed them picking at the beefheart scraps on the bottom as well as going nuts over the bbs.

theres only 28 left from the hatching, I've just done my first cull and all the fry with bent spines (bout 12) went to the turtle tank, i've kept 2 in there that I'll use for test fish when i set up new tanks.

scott bowler
Sat Nov 03, 2007, 11:42 PM
they look great jothy good work mate

the german
Sun Nov 04, 2007, 12:09 AM
great job mate,thats some good looking fry

ILLUSN
Sun Nov 04, 2007, 03:05 AM
Thanks Scott & the german, I'm really happy with this spawn!

I reckon another 2 weeks and i can move them into their own 450L for growing on.

eykw
Sun Nov 04, 2007, 09:58 AM
Awesome sight!!! Well done mate! Happy for you!

ILLUSN
Sun Nov 11, 2007, 12:43 PM
Hi all,
this will be the last update of these little guys in their current tank, they're growing quicker then i thought and they eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.
wednesday night i hope to have them all in a 4x2x2 for growing on.

I've cut out the live bbs and now they're getting crushed Breeders Blend flake and Tetra Colourbits twice daily, as well as beefheartmix 3x daily (need to feed so often cause the little buggers are out compeating mum and dad for food LOL).

Heres a few pics, they're getting harder to photograph casue they dont clump around the parents anymore.

You'll proably notice in the pics about half the fry have nice vertical bars through their eyes and at the base of the tail, kinds wiered since mum is completely barless and dad only has the faintest bar through his eye while he's brooding, be intersting to see how these bubs grow up.

nicholas76
Sun Nov 11, 2007, 12:48 PM
simply stunning fish ! :wink:

Robdog
Sun Nov 11, 2007, 12:59 PM
Nice batch mate from good looking parents too. Good to see you're getting such a good growth rate.

fish_r
Sun Nov 11, 2007, 01:12 PM
looking great m8 well done http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/KharmaKazi/thumb.gif

ILLUSN
Sun Nov 11, 2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks guys.

Good to see you're getting such a good growth rate.

I blame Merrilyns beefheart :P all i've added to it is some spinach, fishtamins and some VERY FINELY crushed breeders blend flake, I'll order some anthaxin powder for the next batch (little buggers are eating through it too quick :evil: )

ILLUSN
Sat Nov 17, 2007, 10:47 PM
G'day all,
been messing around with the koiponds all week so didn't get a chance to move out the rose red fry.

they still look good, but i think mum and dad are getting th $h!ts with them. will have them in the new tank by tonight.

Tommo
Sun Nov 18, 2007, 06:20 AM
They Look Sensational Jothy , Cant Wait To See Them In The New Tank :)

:cheers Tommo

ILLUSN
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 12:27 PM
Sorry for the late update, been a little busy with the ponds (AGAIN! :banghead :banghead :banghead )

these photos were taken on the 25/11/2007, biggest fry are just under the size of a 20c pice, they seem more happy to swim around individually now and dont clump as much (hard to get a good photo).

the biggest fish all have bars, they are starting to develop through the body as well, not just through the eye and base of tail.

only 2 fish lost after the transfer, both were the deformed fish i was going to cull, guess I'll never know how they'll turn out now.

Mum and dad have laid again, over 100 eggs all look fertile aswell, they should hatch on wednesday night (same as the pigion batch), I'll try to use these parents as surrogates with the pigion fry as well as their own, hopefully it'll work out.

enjoy the pics.
Jothy

eykw
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 01:06 PM
so rewarding to see the babies growing everyday!!!

all the best with the new patch!

ILLUSN
Sun Dec 02, 2007, 05:29 AM
update!

fry doing really well, getting bigger by the day,eating more and more each day now as well :)

Mum and dad spawened again, I think i need a smaller cone, dad only fertilized 1/3 of the eggs, theres about 50-60 young in the tank, + 10 young from my pigion pair who cant seem to raise young.

Fernando Leite
Sun Dec 02, 2007, 07:17 PM
I have to say that you have there an awesome couple mate !

And with all the dedication you´ve been showing with these photos I can tell for sure that you deserve it completely.

Alright I´m just jealous :lol:

ILLUSN
Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:04 PM
Hi all, sorry about the lateness of this up date, was a bit under the weather on the weekend.

the fry are doing great, the biggest is just on an inch (25mm) bodylength(minus tail) the smallest are arount 14-16mm (body length).

i'm a little dissapointed with the quality of the fry, all are showing a strong bar through the eye, Dad has a faint bar through the eye, but nothing as prominant as the fry.

60% have stress bars on the body, this wouldn't be so bad except only 4 have uniform and strait bars, the rest have 1 or more crooked bar. this will be a problem for future breeding.

Dad has slight bars on his body, however the red coloring makes them invisible, hopefully the fry will color up propperly and these bars will fade.

all photos were taken on wednesday the 12th December 2007.

nicholas76
Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:11 PM
keepers for now thats for sure
great work mate

ILLUSN
Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:12 PM
the second batch of fry are also doing great, the rose red fry are white, the pigion fry i introduced to be raised are black in color (they're going to be heavily peppered).

a little disturbing is dads eye, it used to be BRIGHT RED! now its orange.

I've added some pro more and fishtamins to my latest batch of food to hopefully get some color back into him.

these photos were also taken on the 12th of december, notice the growth of the fry over the last 10days whem compared to the previous post.

ILLUSN
Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:18 PM
keepers for now thats for sure

yeah mate all in all pretty happy for now, any defects though will have to go the saratoga, wonder how he'll go with a 2-3" rose red?

enigmatic
Fri Dec 14, 2007, 11:36 AM
Great photos. Keep up the good work.

ILLUSN
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 12:30 AM
update

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15313&highlight=

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 10:23 PM
Sorry I've been slack with the updates people, after the roach disaster, my 80+ fry in the tank were decimated, theres only around 20 left, but they look GREAT!!!!!!

The largest is just on the 2 inch mark now and the color is stunning!, pity about the black bar through the eye, but hopefully some line breeding will clean that up in a generation or 2.

appologies for the dirty glass :oops:

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 10:25 PM
moore good news is mum and dad are at it again, these guys just went free swimmingn thursday morning(06/03/2008)

hard to count but someware between 160 and 200 fry.

ILLUSN
Thu Jul 31, 2008, 07:56 AM
Sorry everyone I know I've been so slack with the updates.

heres a few photos of how the last spawn is going.
the fry are 2 months old and just about to be moved into the grow out tank (6'x14"x18" ~300L)

ILLUSN
Thu Jul 31, 2008, 07:58 AM
and here they are at 10 weeks old in the grow out tank.

I lost 2 in the move, the 2 smallest fish, if I'd moved them earlier i would have lost more.

tank is bare bottom with 3 pices of drift wood.

filtration is via a 2213 on the right and a 2028 on the left, theres also a 24w internal uv on it with a 400L/H pump. the spray bar of the 2028 has been extended to reduce the flow and break up the current, all spray bars are facing the back of the tank.

Temp is 29C, PH 5.6, KH~0, GH 80ppm.

This tank gets 60% water changes every 2nd day

they are coloring up nicely :) the last pic is without flash to try and show the colour. They are developing a nice solid red all over.

Hollowman
Thu Jul 31, 2008, 10:46 AM
Looking good :)

XPLOSV
Fri Aug 01, 2008, 05:59 AM
beautiful mate, you have done top notch job keeping them alive.

Where for me I ran out of tanks to keep them alive. (no space)

Let me know if your selling them. ^_^

Mattzilla
Fri Aug 01, 2008, 08:08 AM
they look awesome mate