PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of doing a Planted discus tank,Need Help!

j.c fishfan
Fri Aug 24, 2007, 10:20 PM
Hi all im fairly new to the planted side of things so i need some help with what equipment i need.

What i already have is a 3x36x50high a 300w heater and a 1000lph canister.This is basically a Pimp my tank :lol: It would be great if you could list what gravel/ferts/c02 and whatever else i need.

Cheers,

Jamie

ILLUSN
Sat Aug 25, 2007, 01:07 AM
Gravel: carib sea Eco complete
Red sea Flora base

Co2: get a preassure systen preferably with ph
controler and a 1.5kg cylinder or bigger (ASA
has some great ones on sale

Light: T5HO at least 4x39w
250w metal halide 6500k (and sunglasses)

Fertz: seachem florish +florish postasium +
Iron chelate (bunnings 1tsp every night or 2
after lights off +
Florish tabs/ clayballs for initial planting

1 very pimped tank!

Bad Inferno
Mon Aug 27, 2007, 12:12 PM
If this comes from pimp-my-ride I thought other people paid for the pimping. With the great list IIlusn has put forward I suggest you will need some serious cash for your pimped out tank..

ILLUSN
Mon Aug 27, 2007, 11:34 PM
With the great list IIlusn has put forward I suggest you will need some serious cash for your pimped out tank

hehehe good call Bad Inferno, for got to mention substrate heating coils. dont expect change from $2000 :lol:

he said pimped :lol: Don't you love high tech planted tanks

Bad Inferno
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 08:48 AM
I'm hanging up my pimp'n gloves and will enjoy watching other people spend money ..

Illusn forgot to mention to save some cash for Fish !

Robdog
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:23 AM
Add about $5000 and cut a hole in your roof and install some Solatubes for natural sunlight and less halide usage. Saves on electricity and you can't beat it for full spectrum lighting and super realistic sunrise/sunsets! 8-) 8-) A few marine reefers are doing this now with great results. I don't see why it couldn't work for FW planteds.

ILLUSN
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:41 AM
cut a hole in your roof and install some Solatubes for natural sunlight and less halide usage. Saves on electricity and you can't beat it for full spectrum lighting and super realistic sunrise/sunsets!

I'm in the process of doing that now Robdog, just playing around with my colorbond roof, I'm thinking 3 solar tubes over a 6x2x2 with a double 80w T5 strip to help out on the cloudy winter days, only problem is my fish room roof faces south :( so i might not get the light I want.

Robdog
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 11:27 PM
One of the guys from the MASA forum has done this kind of system. He says he still supplements the natural with his halides during winter but spring summer, autumn he cuts right back.
If you've researched it a bit, how much are we talking realistically do you think?

(this is almost worth a new thread, or we could hijack this one!!! :twisted: :twisted: )