PDA

View Full Version : Some discus question

DiscusNoob
Fri Aug 24, 2007, 12:07 PM
I recently bought 2 new discus which was a white butterfly and was wondering if a white butterfly the same as a white leopard skin?

I also found that one of my discus is not letting my other discus eat and keeps blocking it off and circling it when it wants to eat. Is this normal?

Also, I noticed the discus which is being bullied has a broken fin( not sure what the specific name is called). It was bought that way but i didn't really take much notice of it, but now i'm having second thoughts. Is it okay for discus to have this broken fin?

The picture doesn't show it well but the fin in the circle is crooked/bent.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m106/ThugAngel515/DSC0011433.jpg

garikfox
Fri Aug 24, 2007, 06:07 PM
Beutiful guy/gal ya got there ! :wink:

She/He will be fine, Ive noticed they heal faster with more water changes also. ie: 2x week. :wink:

DiscusNoob
Sat Aug 25, 2007, 06:03 AM
Alright thanks Gari

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 25, 2007, 06:54 AM
Those pelvic fins often get damaged. Nothing to worry about. If it's really broken and just hanging by a thread, then better to snip it off with a pair of really sharp scissors, while you hold the fish in a wet net, then it will regrow straight.

If it were me, I'd just leave it. I'd be more concerned about the fish being bullied at meal times. You can help the situation by dropping food into both ends of the tank at the same time. The bully can't guard two spots, and the little guy will get a chance to eat in peace.

DiscusNoob
Sun Aug 26, 2007, 02:12 AM
Alright thanks for the advice Merrilyn. I have been putting food on both sides of the tank and the dominant discus seems to follow the my other discus and won't let it eat but after meal time they usually swim happily together. What is that?