View Full Version : Need Help Assimilating New Discus!

Gooose
Fri Aug 24, 2007, 04:05 AM
Hi everybody, I hope all of you enjoyed the summer which went by way to fast in my opinion. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody could PLEASE give advice on the best way to approach incorporating new discus into your already established discus tank. I personally have a 55 gallon tank with three discus and I plan on going to a breeder tomorrow and picking up two more. The only problem is I don’t know how to go about assimilating them into my tank without causing stress or harm to the discus, new and old. I have heard some ideas ranging from getting a divider and splitting them up for six weeks so they can see each other or something, but I also was told to first quarantine them in a separate tank for a certain time period, which I can do if need be. I really don’t know how to go about doing this properly, So please, if anybody has some sound advice they could give me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much, enjoy the new year. :)

mistakes r crucial
Fri Aug 24, 2007, 05:48 AM
Assimilate or acclimatize?

If it's the former then there's not alot you can do, they pretty much make their own arrangements as far as hierarchy is concerned. If it's the latter then just feed them well, leave them be and let them settle in.
MAC

garikfox
Fri Aug 24, 2007, 06:02 PM
He is "Borg!", lol :lol: :P :wink: