PDA

View Full Version : Spirulina Powder

mistakes r crucial
Wed Aug 22, 2007, 08:52 PM
Hi,

I'd be gateful for some information from those of you that use Spirulina powder in your own food mixes. Quite simply, how much do you buy at a time, where do you buy it from and how much do you pay for it?
Cheers
MAC

Ben
Wed Aug 22, 2007, 11:28 PM
Hiya Mac!

When I was more involved with discus breeding I always added pure spirulina to my beef heart/seafood mix.

I once made a batch higher in spirulina than normal, 100 grams in 1kg of feed. As you could imagine it was bright green! The positives were the same as using it at a lower ratio of spirulina to base mix, brooders bred, babies grew fast and all were healthy and had wonderful colour.

The only problem with the high spirulina powder in the base mix was algae growth in the tanks. It grew like wild fire! The glass panels had to been cleaned every 2 days! Its possible it might not of been algae but a type of cyanobacteria.

I still continue to feed spirulina to my fish and even sneak a bit of it into my reptile foods!

I tried the Hawaiian one but buy it in 1kg pack from this mob.

http://www.australianspirulina.com.au/

Another interesting point, my parents breed and hand rare birds, they use the Hawaiian type but not the Australian spirulina as it contains too high an amount of sodium and would be detrimental to the health of newly hatched baby birds...

mistakes r crucial
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 12:40 AM
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the feedback. The reason I am asking the question is because I have also used human grade previously and found it very expensive. We now have access to the powder from Hawaii and I'm sure it would be around half the cost of what alot of people are using. If there is enough demand we would retail it and we already have a large amount landed for use with our own Spirulina flake which will be launched over the next couple of months.
Cheers
MAC

mistakes r crucial
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 03:18 AM
Ben,

As a PS to the above, if your parents are breeding and raising birds then I suggest they take a look at the NatuRose research, I'll send it to you if you like.

Astaxanthin is one of the worlds most powerful antioxidants and is now proven to be an excellent addition to the diets of cats, dogs, horses and birds.

One horse trial that's recently been sent to me by the growers of NatuRose (research was independent and not held by them) actually got rid of all symptoms of a really nasty and potentially fatal wasting disease called equine exertional rhabdomyolysis. After just 2-3 weeks of adding Astaxanthin to their diet they were free of all symptoms and back racing and training. When the Asta was taken away the symptoms returned. It really is amazing stuff!

We've had our 14 year old fox terrier on it for 12 months now and she's never looked better. We even whack it in the wild bird seed for the Galahs and Lorikeets (the wife feels sorry for them lol).

Let me know if you would like the research. Admin: Sorry to get off topic.
MAC

Bretto
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 10:29 PM
Hey MAC,

Any chance you could send me a copy of that trial report ?

I work with racehorses, and one of the most disheartening things about the whole game is seeing a filly you know goes well, go to pot because she won't eat. We currently have one filly in work who loses aprox 8-9kg every week. If this works it could be very important to the racing industry.

Cheers,

Bretto.

brettdrury(at)hotmail.com.au

mistakes r crucial
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 10:38 PM
Hi Bretto,

No problem, I was just sat here doing up about a dozen anyway so I'll get it out to you today. I think I still have your address, if not I'll give you a hoy.
MAC

mistakes r crucial
Sun Aug 26, 2007, 01:37 AM
Sorry, that was meant to be a PM.
MAC

ozarowana
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 08:56 AM
MAC

Do you just sprinkle a bit of the naturose over your dogs food? Is there a certain amount you should add daily?

mistakes r crucial
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Oz,

Yes, we just mix it in with their food and for a medium sized dog 1/4 teaspoon per day and 1/8 of a teaspoon for cats, not very much at all.
MAC