PDA

View Full Version : Color-Bits, Tasteless ?

garikfox
Wed Aug 22, 2007, 02:55 PM
Is it normal for you guys to see newly introduced "Discus" to take alot longer for them to start eating it ? :?:

[i]ie: I have 2 that took too them after only 24-Hrs., Other two its been about 5 days. :?

In your opnion, Do you think Frozen Food(s) spoil them ? :P

ILLUSN
Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:17 PM
mine always prefer color bits to frozen food (except bloodworm), maybe just taking a bit longer to settle in? try adding some live food to get the buggers hungry then putting in the color bits just as they start eating.

Ben
Wed Aug 22, 2007, 11:12 PM
Some discus will take longer to settle than others. Offer them a variety of foods. You will find discus favourite foods are brine shrimp live or frozen plus blood worms.

Tetra's colour bits is good but i prefer Sera's discus granules.

garikfox
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 02:36 AM
Amy I right, Bloodworms = Red Mosquito Larvae ?

garikfox
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 03:28 AM
Amazing !, Just put some Bloodworms in was gone instantly well almost..

Yes they all ate ! wowa !

impossible
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 09:45 AM
I have a very picky discus, which when moved from its partner goes in a right strop for days and wont eat....... until you add frozen bloodworm, which soon brings it back around ;)

Question, I understand that "real" food has a higher protein level and thus can cause more harmful waste. But how oftern do people use frozen/live food to there tank?

I recently came across this problem when raising some baby discus and worried about constantly adding food to the tank 3-4 times a day with only being able to do water changes every 2 days.

Imp

apistodiscus
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 12:21 PM
Amazing !, Just put some Bloodworms in was gone instantly well almost..

Yes they all ate ! wowa !

Unfortunately bloodworms have no real nutrional value and even more unfortunately they will turn into bloodworm junkies and refuse all other food.

I only feed frozen food and granulate the any of my discus except for the occassional chopped up rainworm and 3 weekly helpings of whiteworm.

Discus food should contain more than 40% of protein

ILLUSN
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 01:10 PM
too true apistodiscus, I feed live food once a week, either live brineshrimp or mozzi wrigglers, i used to feed black worm but my cultures crashed and i dont trust the store bought stuff. feed it as a treat or to bring around fish that havn't eaten in a few days. Beefheart does wonders for my fish as a staple.

scott bowler
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 01:16 PM
i do the same as you ILLUSN live food once a week,
but i do feed blood worm every know and then, and they get a flake, beefheart every day

apistodiscus
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 01:29 PM
no beefheart, fat content is too high, fishbased fodd mixes only

ILLUSN
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 01:33 PM
Your not calling my fish fat are you! :shock:
it's "full figured" thank you :wink:

garikfox
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 06:50 PM
I would think bloodworms are a complete nutritional food, Because red = blood, Blood contains all the good nutrients etc.

garikfox
Fri Aug 24, 2007, 06:14 PM
Ok since all my fish are eating. Heres my weekly diet for them. 8-)

Daily:

Morning = Hikari Brine Shrimp (Vitamin packed,can be used for primary food only.)

Evening = SFB Cichlid Delight (AKA Discus Delight.)

Saturday Morning = SFB Beefheart (I know this isnt a good food for them IMO, But im taking your all word on this, lol)

From reading everyone here this seems to be the best food variety and nutrition for "Discus".

JNS
Sat Aug 25, 2007, 09:41 AM
I rotate each evening with Frozen Brine Shrimp, Bloodworm, and Discus Dinner. In the morning they get Sera Discus Granuals.

They eat it all with gutso now, but for a long time, they just went for the bloodworm. It certainly took a while before they ate the granuals.

As a result of this, I do have some very "full figured" bristlenose catfish and Yo-yo loaches.

apistodiscus
Wed Aug 29, 2007, 10:31 PM
No beefheart mixtures for my fish. Yes, they meake your discus grow faster and bigger but also fatter. We had this discussion on the Irish Tropical Fishkeepers Society forum. It went on for pages and pages. For anybody whose interested, here's the website address www.irishfishkeepers.com/forum. There's a search option. just look for beefheart.

My fish get granulate food (JBL, sera, tetra), frozen fishbased mixture, chopped garden worms, frozen glas and black mosquito larvae, daphnia and 3 helpings of whiteworm a week

alan j t
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 01:43 AM
that web site doesnt work is there a nother one
please