PDA

View Full Version : Using Submersible Pumps for water changes

JNS
Sun Aug 19, 2007, 01:20 AM
I was looking into using a submersible pump to add my the clean water to my tank after a water change. The Ehiem compact submersible pumps look like they'll meet my needs

http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=468

Are these pumps strong enough to pump the water out of my bucket on the floor up 1.5m to my tank? I'm not too concerned about the last few centimeters in the bucket, as is then light enough for me to tip in.

Does anyone use these pumps for this purpose? It would sure beat me having to lug the bucket up on top of the aqarium to siphon the water in. Thanks.

gypsy3
Sun Aug 19, 2007, 02:13 AM
hi jns....i use a submersible to pump my water from a 200 l container up to a 6 ft tank through about8 metres of 19 mm poly pipe, so yours should work just fine. its not an eheim , but yours is probably better. cost me about 50 bucks

scott bowler
Sun Aug 19, 2007, 02:39 AM
yeah i use a cheep pump that i got to do the water changes it is much easer . the one you loked at on ASA will prob do the trick i would go a litle bigger but if you just usr buckets that might be a waste.

Top_Bhoy
Sun Aug 19, 2007, 03:23 AM
I used an Eheim Universal Pump (of which there are various models see here http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=86 ) and wouldn't be without it for water changes (I brought it with me it was so important). I changed maybe 200 litres 2 or 3 times a week in my 500 litre tank using this method (for removing and adding water) and while it was taking place, I could easily make dinner with it only needed a passing occassional glance. Best of all - it saves your back and the danger of tipping over lots of water.

I definitely think its worth the investment!!!

On the pump selection, each pump is rated litres/hour according to the length it needs to pump and the head height - the height the pumps needs to pump to. You should be asking before you buy (or go to the manufacturers website) as to what the rate will be for your head height and distance.[/code][/url]

JNS
Sun Aug 19, 2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks all. Will place my order....Looking forward to making my water changes easier.

ILLUSN
Sun Aug 19, 2007, 07:31 AM
just a bit of friendly advice,
GET THE BIGGEST YOU CAN AFFORD! I got an eheim 1262 to replace the old 1000lph 2m head height pump i was using. the pump loose a lot of flow over a long distance 1.5 wont be a problem but if you ever expand you'll really appreciate having the bigger pump.

Bill T
Tue Aug 21, 2007, 06:58 AM
I bought an outdoor water fountain pump from Bunnings. It's a bit noisy but does the job & was pretty cheap.