PDA

View Full Version : Discus Finally

DiscusNoob
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 11:50 AM
I have finally got discus and was wondering about a couple of things.

1.I have found my discus are both already pecking on the glass of my tank. Is this a sign that they are a pair and are ready to spawn?

2.Does Geo Liquid (discus) help the water parameter to stay at the required level for discus?
Could someone explain what Geo Liquid (discus) actually does?

3.Do you need to feed your discus 3 times a day or is 1 good enough?

4.Is aging your water necessary? I find my tap water is very clean.

5.I heard feeding you discus live food is not good is this true? What is good to feed your discus?

I have a 257L community tank with
4 Guppies
2 Albino Cory
2 Cherry Barbs
2 Bristlenoses
1 Mountain Minnow
5 Glowlight Tetras
5 Neon Tetras
3 Cardinal Tetras
3 Mollies

Is this to many fish for my tank? Are these fish all sutiable with discus?

DiscusNoob
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 12:40 PM
My Beautiful White Butterflies
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m106/ThugAngel515/DSC00102.jpg

Female
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m106/ThugAngel515/DSC00106.jpg

Male
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m106/ThugAngel515/DSC00107.jpg

apistodiscus
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 03:49 PM
[quote="
I have a 257L community tank with
4 Guppies
2 Albino Cory
2 Cherry Barbs
2 Bristlenoses
1 Mountain Minnow
5 Glowlight Tetras
5 Neon Tetras
3 Cardinal Tetras
3 Mollies

Is this to many fish for my tank? Are these fish all sutiable with discus?[/quote]

Dou I understand you correctly that you are keeping these fish with your discus? Get rid of the mollies, cherry barbs, mountain minnow and Guppies. They will not be able to stnd the high temperatures required to keep discus successfully. Furthermore mollies and Guppies prefer hard water, mollies even like a bit of salt.

DiscusNoob
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 10:52 PM
Yes I am keeping these fish with my discus. Though I bought the mollies to help take away some algae. Ill get them out ASAP.

Professor_J
Wed Aug 22, 2007, 05:27 AM
From what I understand...

The neons won't necessarily appreciate the heat either. Cardinals are ok (and prettier I think as evolution didn't knock off early before finishing the red part of the paint job :) )

Some cories are ok with the heat and some aren't (sterbai are a type that apparently don't mind).

For keeping algae at bay, ottos are apparently ok too (mine have been cooking with everyone else at 88-89F for a while as I finish off dealing with an outbreak of ich that happened when everyone moved in and look none the worse for wear).

heng
Fri Aug 31, 2007, 10:29 AM
1. This behaviour doesn't necessarily mean their ready to breed. i heard it just mean they have parasites on their mouths and by pecking at something its an attempt to clean it. At the same tiem you may have a breeding pair on your hands if the two discus are displaying other breeding habbits.

2. not a fan of geo liquid but heard it is good. i believe in just good old w/c is the best.

3. be careful of how much & how many times you are feeding your fish. as you may know discus are very sensitive in amonia spikes and this can be caused by over feeding. i had a juvenile tank operating and was feeding them arnd 3-4 times a day but in smaller quantities. as for my community tank id believe 1-2 is surficent.

5. live food can be good and bad. live food can sometimes carry unwated parasites which can affect your discus but in saying this not all live food may be carrying parasites. blood worms and brine shrimp are the way to go if you were to feed your discus live food. i personally just have a mixed diet of frozen bloodworms, discus granuiles and flakes.

as the others said get rid of the mollies and guppies for sure. As for algea brittlenose catfish. you can't go wrong!

also thats a really nice pair you have there! if they really are a breeding pair id be interested in buying a couple of juveniles off you :D no such thing as enough discus!

DiscusNoob
Fri Aug 31, 2007, 12:42 PM
Alright thanks for answering my questions. :D

If I get any fry to the juvi stage you'll be the first to know.

DiscusNoob