PDA

View Full Version : Who "conditions" their R/O water?

CQD
Thu Aug 16, 2007, 11:09 PM
Hi all,

Just want to know how many people who use R/O water condition or add trace elements back to the water.

If you do add what do you use?

Thanks

ILLUSN
Thu Aug 16, 2007, 11:29 PM
When using rain water (similar to RO) I filtered through crushed coral to get the gH/kH back up to something reasonable. also used salt and discus trace.

R3dm4n
Thu Aug 16, 2007, 11:40 PM
I have just started using RO water in my tank and when i do my next water change over the weekend i will add discus buffer. I think this will provide my fish with really soft water with all the essential trace elements. I hope i'm on the right track!!

fishgeek
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 06:13 AM
i use r/o water filtered through peat to drop the pH even lower
i never pay to add anything back as there is so much in my tap water that a small dash of tap is enough in my case to keep things stable

andrew

CQD
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for all your help

Erk
Mon Aug 20, 2007, 01:30 PM
CQD, I use Kent RO Right, and also Kent Discus Essentials when I "condition" my RO water, and a 1/4 tsp per 5gallons of pH increaser (no phosphate) and my tank specs are as listed in my signature

Good Luck with it
Eric

impossible
Wed Aug 22, 2007, 03:54 PM
I have always used minerals with my RO water (only been using RO for around 6 months) but recently have become aware of people using it without which I thought was unsual, probably due to be new to the subject.

Since using RO water soley for water changes, I have started to question the minerals I add. I have made a post to prevent hijacking this one.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113352#113352 this url is regarding the minerals I use with my RO water.

Imp

Ben
Wed Aug 22, 2007, 11:15 PM
Do they add fluoride to the water in the UK?

impossible
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 08:51 AM
In some counties, yes. Im unaware which ones. I belive that the area that I live in (west midlands) is treated.

Im aware that fluoride is great for human teeth etc, but what affects would it have in a tank?

I have had a look around and found that my local area's tap water has these properties....
ANALYSIS TYPICAL VALUE
Hardness Level Hard
Hardness Clark 16.49
Hardness 94
Aluminium 10.6
Chloride 51.2
Chlorine 0.23
Coliform bacteria 0
Colour 0.86
Conductivity 469
E.coli bacteria 0
Fluoride 0.9
Iron 21.6
Manganese 1.72
Nitrate 29
Odour 0
Pesticides 0
pH 7.57
Sodium 36.8
Taste 0

Copper 0.01
Lead 2.1
Nickel 3.3

Im suprised nitrate isnt listed there, which has increased in our tap water over the last few years (government levels were lower on nitrate levels that EU levels, which have recently been adopted.) This was the main cause of starting to use RO.

Imp