PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find Pool-Filter Sand (Inert)

discusbarlas
Wed Aug 15, 2007, 05:26 AM
Friends...

I want to put Pool-filter sand in my discus 50G tank. I have tried asking my LFS, but told me that they never heard about such a sand....

Do you have any link or website for a company who provide this type of sand?

The reason I am thinking to put Pool Filter sand is that its easy to vaccume as the dirt remains on the top of the sand.

Is there any other gravel which I can put in my tank other than this, which I can keep my tank clean from poops and uneaten food?

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 15, 2007, 06:25 AM
Try a swimming pool shop.

Pool filter sand is used in swimming pool filters :P

discusbarlas
Wed Aug 15, 2007, 06:45 AM
yeh i know but someone from this forum adviced me Pool filter Sand.. is it dangerous to use in discus tank or it is good?

I heard some Pool filter sand come with chemicals in the sand which may not be good for dicus tank!?

discusbarlas
Thu Aug 16, 2007, 01:47 PM
Hi I finally found a shop who have Pool filter sand available.

According to the shop keeper, the sand is white creamy color, untreated silicon sand. The baggage size is 50kg minimum for a price of 40 UAE Dirhams.

Can anyone help me on how much kg do I need for a 50Gallon tank and another very important question is that what is the best way to put the sand in a cycled aquarium where you have 3 discus in it? Should I take them out for a couple of hours in a barrel with heater and filtration until the sand settle down?

Your quick reply will be appreciated thanks! :)

discusbarlas
Thu Aug 16, 2007, 07:52 PM
Anyways.. after a long day of hardwork with the Silica sand... I have put back my siamese alge eater and 4 angel fish in the tank. The water is still a little milky but not as milky as if the fish cant see in water...

Now I am worried about my 4 discus... should I put it back in the tank now.. or wait a little more? will the mily water effect discus?

Can u suggest anything... ?!

SandyLynne
Thu Aug 16, 2007, 08:53 PM
I am not sure how pool filter sand would differ from country to country but I haven't had any problems at all with it in my discus tank. I just made sure that it was thoroughly cleaned before adding it to my tank, but before doing this I put substrate on the bottom of the tank for plant growth, then the pool filter sand on top of the substrate.

discusbarlas
Thu Aug 16, 2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the reply SandyLynne...

Well I did cleaned the sand my self and then put it in the tank. the sand is 0.8mm silica sand and its creamy white color. Most of the sand has already settled down. But still the water is bit milky. I have put my discus back in tank and they seemed to me ok with a little faster breathing. I am sure they will be fine in couple of hours.. as I put on my internal power head for maximum airation in the tank.

I hope I am doing fine? if you think you have a suggestion please do let me know... thanks!

discusbarlas
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 02:33 AM
How much it takes to settle down the sand in the water fully... cause its been like 8-10 hours since I put the sand in water... the water is much better now but still hazzy(milky)... My all fish are doing fine in the tank (no problem)

Can anyone reply to this question?

ILLUSN
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 03:08 AM
give it a full 24-48hrs

discusbarlas
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 06:34 AM
Gr8! I will wait to see...it already been around 15 hours now... and I would say! WoW! that sand with my discus in it... looks stunning.. and cool... :D I am so happy...

nicholas76
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 06:56 AM
If your using cannisters just use some bio zorb or some other type of resin/ charcoal filter to fix that problem. a heap of dacron filter will help too. Others like using geo liquod for this type of problem.

it should be clear in 48 depending upon how good your filtration is

discusbarlas
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 07:25 AM
Well thanks for the suggestion Nicholas76...

Regarding the Filters... well I have a Canister Ehem Classis model with a filteration capacity of 420L/h. The contents includes Ceramics+BioZorb+Ehem Subtrate+Different layer of wool and sponges.

Also I have an overhead Sump filter built in my tank hood which has Ehem Subtrate+Ceramics+sponges+Wool

I hope with this type of filteration the water should be clear soon in lets say 48hours or so?! :)

discusbarlas
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 06:31 PM
Guys everything seems to be fine but I have a small issue....

Today I introduced 4 corys in my tank... and they started digging in and arond the sand... which made the water more poluted and milky...

what should I do? should I remove them? or keep them and wait... because I dont want to take them out as they are cute...

scott bowler
Sat Aug 18, 2007, 01:23 AM
Im sorry DiscusBarlas did you wash the sand before you put it in the tank. ?
if so it will be ok and the corys will mix it up a bit but it will settle down in the end .

discusbarlas
Sat Aug 18, 2007, 03:09 AM
Yeh Scott bowler I did washed the sand 4-5 times in difference sets of buckets... but you know sand is always sand... :)

The tank seems to be little milky... like fumes in water... but I hope it settles down...?!

discusbarlas
Sat Aug 18, 2007, 04:32 AM
Ok I think I figure out my problem....

when I was setting up the tank... I placed a 2 feet long air stone underneath the sand. Which after I put the airpump on.. started to generate bulles.. and eventually... blowing up and poluting the tank... Man! I did a Dum mistake... :(

Do you thing this was the main cause of the problem? Cause I have seen corys, and they dont blow up sand to that level that the water become poulted...

anyways... I have turned it off... I see.. if there is any progress of water clearing....

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 18, 2007, 06:29 AM
Just rest your airstone on top of the sand and hide it with some plants or driftwood. It will still work fine.

The water will clear after a couple of days, so don't be concerned. Your filter will gradually pick it up, then the water will be crystal clear.

discusbarlas
Sat Aug 18, 2007, 06:36 AM
Thanks merrilyn...

I can wait for 2 week for that.. but I still have a concern that the Pool filter sand which I bought is 0.6-0.8mm in size... so is that a size works fine...?