PDA

View Full Version : Some breeding questions

discusbarlas
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 06:48 AM
Guys I am bit new to Discus but I just thought to ask this question if someone could reply :)

Whats the maximum size for a discus ready for breeding. I have 3 discus of approx. 5 inch. The funny part is that I am not sure which is male and female... How do you find their differences. If you have any picture base identification help it would be much appreciated as i want to buy some more discus and want to make sure they are in a pair....

Oh yeh what are the sign which shows they are ready for breeding...

thanks...

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 07:07 AM
You'll find most of your questions answered here

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3118

Discus are very difficult to sex. It's better to let them pick their own partner, because you get a better pair bond that way.

If your fish are 5 inches, then they should be old enough to breed. Just give them lots of clean water and leave it up to them. They'll certainly breed when they're ready.

discusbarlas
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the reply... Merrilyn it was quite informative.... But I think I still have one Question unanswered :)

How to you check that the fish you have is male or female? any differences in fins, colors or sizes or their behavior?

nicholas76
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 08:19 AM
Hi discusbarlas,

Merrilyn has already answered your question mate :)

fin size, colours, fish sizes will not assist you in determining the sex of a discus fish. in other words its not 100% accurate

The same applies to behaviour however when you start to learn how paired fish behave it may assist you in answering your question.

discusbarlas
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 08:30 AM
I do get what Merrilyn has replied back and its good but my question is when you want to buy a pair how do u know which one is male and female... My LFS shop guy told me he cannot help cause he is not sure in this regard

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 08:37 AM
That's the whole problem. You can't tell for certain which is male and which is female. They both look the same.

The only sure way to tell is to see them spawning, but even then you have to watch closely, because two females will sometimes lay eggs together, without a male being present. Obviously the eggs won't be fertile, but that doesn't stop them laying the eggs.

discusbarlas
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 09:27 AM
Oh! ok.. Thanks Merrilyn... Guess I have to waiting till SPAWNING... :D

nicholas76
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 10:57 AM
or you can post a picture and samir will give it a go :D

discusbarlas
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 11:20 AM
Oh yeh nice idea nicholas76... i heard Samir is good in it.. Hope he reply back..

Below is the link where I have posted the pics of 3 discus which I have in the tank.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112608#112608

samir
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 11:21 AM
:spam :laff4

as Merrilyn mentioned its all guesswork till they spawn.

discusbarlas
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the reply Samir.. hehe that was quick...

apistodiscus
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 12:47 PM
The red turq looks like a male to me. Just a guess but if he is the biggest, most aggressive fish of the lot it's more than likelya that it's a male. That's why you should never buy only the biggest fish froma a shoal. They tend to be male.

nicholas76
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 02:00 PM
depends, if the turq is into prada, fine dinning, micheal buble and tiffany and co id say its female.

samir
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 02:29 PM
depends, if the turq is into prada, fine dinning, micheal buble and tiffany and co id say its female.

or very gay :P

discusbarlas
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:27 PM
Funny... replies guys... lolz

But red turq is the king of the tank i mean he is the most visious, aggressive, brave knight garding the food all the time pinching the sord to the other soldiers (Discus) in the tank. :D