PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia in tap water

scott bowler
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:22 AM
hi guys i was just wondering if anyone else in sydney if finding Ammonia readings from there tap water. if some of you could do a test strate from the tap and let me know that would be great thank you,
i do have a reading its not high but there is one there not helping me with some water probs i am haveing at the moment .
thank you anyone that can get back to me scott

ozarowana
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 09:01 AM
Most ammonia test kits will pick up chloramines.

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 10:09 AM
mate, I got slight pos readings after the last big rain in syd I assume it was due to increasing the amount of chloroamine to keep down the giadia and crypto, i upped my doasage of prime to a 5x dose and it seemed to help

scott bowler
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 10:50 AM
thanks guys

samir
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 10:53 AM
You're probably getting your water from prospect, like me.
Ammonia max 0.4 mg/l
Monochloramine max 1.5 mg/l
Chlorine < 0.1 mg/l

seachem
DIRECTIONS: Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL). This removes approximately 0.8 mg/L ammonia, 1.2 mg/L chloramine, or 3.3 mg/L chlorine.

so a double dose should be fine just to be safe.

TW
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 10:55 AM
My tap water has always tested for for both ammonia and nitrate.

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 11:05 AM
Don't think so samir, thought quakers and "the riff" were both direct from warragamba, prospect only services east of parramatta, still wouldn't suprise the dam looks like $*!+ i bet the warer in that is no better then prospect.

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 11:06 AM
Don't think so samir, thought quakers and "the riff" were both direct from warragamba, prospect only services east of parramatta, still wouldn't suprise the dam looks like $*!+ i bet the water in that is no better then prospect.

samir
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 11:15 AM
Don't think so samir, thought quakers and "the riff" were both direct from warragamba, prospect only services east of parramatta,

i got that info from Sydney Water, so yes I think so. :P LOL

I've been having a lot of problems with my water lately, Scotty. I hardly change water anymore.

scott bowler
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 12:09 PM
yeah thik i may have to go the same way for a while . thanks guys

samir
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 12:18 PM
maybe we need to filter with zeolite before adding water to the tank ? I wonder if it comes in 20kg bags.

scott bowler
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 12:32 PM
we may have to get some cheap canisters and just run our ageing barrels through it .

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 12:37 PM
i got that info from Sydney Water, so yes I think so. LOL

appologies Samir I stand corrected

samir
Wed Aug 29, 2007, 10:15 AM
did you hear the news ? warragamba's got an algae bloom :lol: :lol: :lol: