PDA

View Full Version : USA Watley Breeder says 82F on temp.

garikfox
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 02:22 AM
A World Famous Discus breeder here in the states says this.

Temps for Discus: 82F

Anyone here of this ? I know over in your guys land in "Aussie land", You guys do things your OWN way only and seem to only think your way is right.

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:10 AM
Hi garikfox, yep, I'm well aware of what Jack Wattley says about temp. Jack's been around for a long, long time. In fact he would be a very old man now, and is of course, long since retired.

Jack is famous for being the first breeder to turn out gorgeous turquoise discus. The Wattley strain of turquoise discus is still very well known, and much sought after.

Jack also doesn't agree with putting salt in with discus as a medication, but there are a lot of equally well known breeders throughout the world who disagree with that thought. Same thing with temperatures. Lots of differing opinions on that too.

I guess the thing to do is certainly read all the experts, then do what works for you.

I find my discus are happier at warmer temperatures than 82 degrees, and I've been breeding discus for more than thirty years. Others may find their fish are happier at the lower temperatures. If it's working for you, your fish are happy, healthy, with a good appetite and breed regularly, then keep doing it

That's the wonderful thing about fish keeping. It's not an exact science :P

garikfox
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:19 AM
Cool, Sounds good to me. :P 8-)

I just keep it at 84F. :wink:

Greggy
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:30 AM
It's funny to note that, because I now keep my Discus tank at 82F (just under 28C) and the plants have thanked me for it with massive amounts of growth, and the Discus don't seem to mind at all. I would not go below this temp though.

I think if you add new (baby/young) discus they like the temp up around 30C until they settle in.

Regards,

Greggy

samir
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:46 PM
there's no Australian way of discus keeping. we all do what suits us best.

garikfox
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 06:49 PM
Sounds good.

But I think it can be an exact science.

ie: If I went to the Amazon and camped out for mos. and studied the temps of where discus breed and thrive. I think I would come up with exact temp(s) etc.

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 11:33 PM
If I went to the Amazon and camped out for mos. and studied the temps of where discus breed and thrive. I think I would come up with exact temp(s)

If you did that i think you'd find very greatly varying temps, pH, turbidaty, tds. The amazon is a river,its dynamic and vaired due to the enviroment and the seasons. its not a static system like we achieve in a fish tank.