PDA

View Full Version : I am a bit afraid of putting Gravel

discusbarlas
Sun Aug 12, 2007, 08:37 AM
Dear friends,

I am keeping discus from the last 3 weeks and they are doing fine, sometime they do change their color to light grey but soon become normal.

Breifing about my tank:
My tank at the moment is barebottom and have a small rock with 3 artificial plants. The tank size is around 210ltrs and have 3 Adult discus of 5inch and 1 small discus of 2inch in size. Apart from that there are 3 baby angel fish and a siamese alge eater of size 7inch. I have one Ehem Classic running with substrate, biochem zorb and ceramic noodles. I have an overhead sump filter with substrate and sponges and quater kg of corals for KH control. Also 2 powerheads + airstone 1 meter long in the back of the tank.

My water parameters are PH=6.5, KH=5-7d, GH=5-8d, NO2=0, NO3=2, I dont have ammonia test kit at the moment. But the setup is new and barebottom and I do WC with vaccume every day or 2 for the poops.

My fear is that if I put gravel the nitrate levels will get out of control. Even though I do vacuume on the gravel but one cannot reach all the poops and left over once you have gravel in the tank.

So I need suggestion on which is the best gravel for discus tank which keep my water parameters to be in control like nitrates and ammonia. Currently my water is very clean and have no problems. I have mini round stone (half cm diameter) gravel with me which i am thinking to put in. Do you think this will be fine.

Also is there any other procedure to keep the tank more cleaner which having gravel in the tank!?

Mulisha
Sun Aug 12, 2007, 09:54 AM
Try using Pool filter sand nice light colour so the discus can show there colour and not go dark and poo should sit on top.

Rick.

DiscusNoob
Mon Aug 13, 2007, 06:04 AM
I have gravel in my tank and my nitrate is 10 from the last time I checked. If you don't want your nitrate levels up make sure you give the gravel a thorough clean.

DiscusNoob

discusbarlas
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 05:25 PM
thanks for the replies...

Well I think I should buy pool filter sand.. is this sand easily available every where or is it hard to get in LFSs?

Is this sand expensive? how much per KG? if you can give me any idea?