PDA

View Full Version : Want to setup a SMALL Quarantine / Hospital tank

Bad Inferno
Fri Aug 10, 2007, 10:04 PM
Two questions re this Issue:

1. Tank Size
I was thinking of buying a small second hand aquaone tank and use it for a quarantine/hospital tank. The tank I was looking at was the 20-40 litre tank with light and filter built into the top. I know this is small however have little room to keep it. On the basis of a WC every day do you think this would be practical if I wanted to medicate one medium sized discus, or maybe keep a new discus in for a week. I was hoping for some feedback on the basis it needs to be SMALL and something I can put away when not in use and a little more upmarket than a bucket...

2. What Meds
I do not know what to dose new fish for...I am sure some will give me a month worth of dosing regime, however I was hoping I could quarantine and dose for the more common conditions/parasites I maybe introducing in my tank. So on the basis of not being able to keep the fish in the small tank for long durations I was hoping I could use say a 1 week quarantine/Med cycle and be 90-95% confident they are "clean"

Cheers

rob

ILLUSN
Fri Aug 10, 2007, 10:14 PM
I've used an 80L tank for the same reasons as you, to be honest i found myself only half filling it when i treated a fish for hex, i guess if you only wanted to do a 1 week treatment, the best thing to treat with would be metro or octozin, at least you wont briung any hex or plague into your main tank. I still think you'll end up putting gill fluke and/or into you main tank with only a 1 week quarentine.

Bad Inferno
Fri Aug 10, 2007, 10:19 PM
how long to dose for gill flukes ?

fishgeek
Sat Aug 11, 2007, 07:28 AM
simple oxidants will reduce external parasites

then it is the internal parasites and here medicated foods for nematodes and protozoa maybe most useful

i would if serious about bringing fish in try to get into the habit of taking gill,mucous and faecal samples intially

and watch all fish for 4-6 weeks before introducing, this is sometimes not practical
if not showing signs then medication is probably not apprpriate
i guess most hobbyist treat with whatever "jim down the road said" or whatever they have thought has been the biggest problem in there fish previously