PDA

View Full Version : Best breeding ratio

DiscusNoob
Thu Aug 09, 2007, 01:15 PM
I was wondering and thought it would be interesting to know what you think the best breeding ratio is?

Please put down your breeding ratio and explain how's it doing for you.

samir
Thu Aug 09, 2007, 01:27 PM
ratio ??? discus ???

Merrilyn
Thu Aug 09, 2007, 01:27 PM
The ideal situation is to raise six or so juveniles together and let them pair off naturally.

Discus are not an easy fish to sex, so few people would have the ability to buy specific males or females from a shop tank. Best we can do is to guess. That's why raising six together and allowing them to choose their own partner is the ideal.

In a breeding tank, you only want the one pair. Any intruders are likely to be constantly harassed to the point of death.

DiscusNoob
Thu Aug 09, 2007, 01:51 PM
Alright thanks for the information. Iv'e heard people breeding with 2 females to a male though.

samir
Thu Aug 09, 2007, 02:02 PM
where did you hear that ???

DiscusNoob
Thu Aug 09, 2007, 02:05 PM
some other forum :?
discusshobby.com/forum
if you wer wondering

samir
Thu Aug 09, 2007, 02:15 PM
discus are monogamous

Merrilyn
Fri Aug 10, 2007, 03:21 AM
That's definately not a normal situation.

Don't know anyone who's tried it that way, and in thirty years of discus keeping and breeding, I've met a lot of discus keepers. ALL of them breed with only one pair to a tank.

samir
Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:46 AM
Alright thanks for the information. Iv'e heard people breeding with 2 females to a male though.

i recently heard that too :? would be interesting to try.

ozarowana
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 03:04 AM
I have seen 2 males spawning with one female and have also heard of breeding trios.