PDA

View Full Version : Taksan's idea of a small tank.

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 12:25 PM
Honestly, the things I let this man talk me into.............................

"I think we need another tank, doesn't need to be a big one. It could go in that corner over there. I'll just go order one".

And this is the small tank he came up with :wink:

The cabinet was sent off to a spray paint shop for a silver duco that rivals the finish on the benz. But I have to say, it's magnificent, and I really won't miss using the dining room door :lol:

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 12:30 PM
I should have known it was going to be big when he said it had to be built on site ........................

taksan
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 12:33 PM
Only a little one ;-)

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 12:37 PM
That's what you always say :laff1

DIY
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 12:47 PM
Impressive

If that's little, I wanna see a big one :shock:

It's hard to tell from those pictures, but I'm guessing 8x3x2.5? if I'm close thats around 1600litres :wink:

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 01:04 PM
Close, it's 7 x 3.4 x 2.6

all 15mm glass.

DIY
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 01:13 PM
Around 1650 litres, very nice

I can't wait to see the new mercedes :lol: cabinet , is it going to be a wild discus setup?

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 01:25 PM
Check out the last photo in that series.

The tank builders are standing in front of the cabinet. Yep, it's 4 foot high, but have a look at the reflection in that baby :lol:

Now is that a paint job, or what :wink:

Xtreme
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 01:34 PM
Only a little one ;-)

A VERY little one I hear :P:P:P

Wide open I believe is what you said to me wasnt it Taksan :P :)

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 01:39 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA she got you taksan.

You deserved that, and no, I'm not going to defend you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DIY
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 01:40 PM
Wow, didn't realise that was the cabinet in the background I was focused on the three wise tank builders :lol: :lol:

Buff polished to a mirror finish by the looks, just needs a 3 pointed star.

Should look good when it's up & running :thumb

fish_r
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 01:41 PM
wow Merrilyn
whats going in it ?

Xtreme
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 02:04 PM
Indoor pool lol

ILLUSN
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 11:46 PM
I like it!!!

Ben
Thu Aug 09, 2007, 12:39 AM
Nothing exceeds like excess! :fro

mr troph
Thu Aug 09, 2007, 02:51 AM
:shock: Wow thats huge. Can't wait to see it up and running and stocked.

Todd

*Chris*
Thu Aug 09, 2007, 07:41 AM
ummmm where are the holes for the filters????

Merrilyn
Thu Aug 09, 2007, 09:20 AM
You're not looking hard enough Chris. :lol:

Six intake holes drilled low down on the back panel for three Eheim 2180 Pro 3 thermofilters with heaters included, and one larger hole drilled in the end panel for water changes

No heaters and no pipes will be showing within the tank :P

Dee
Sat Aug 11, 2007, 06:51 AM
Now that's impressive ! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I pity the tank b!tch who's gonna be tank b!tchin that tank.

Love the arm stretch shot of Taksan ... Strike a pose !

Deester

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 29, 2007, 12:26 PM
Update. The tank has been curing for two weeks, and tonight the tank was lifted up onto the stand.. It took seven men to lift the tank, and another two to position the stand. Went off without a hitch, and here it is all put together.

Next step, the filters will be fitted, background attached, and then we're ready for three pendant lights hanging from the ceiling.

gibbo91
Wed Aug 29, 2007, 10:29 PM
I suppose it's going to get enough filtration.... :?

:shock:

Bald_noggin
Wed Aug 29, 2007, 11:21 PM
That tank is going to look :shock: AWESOME :shock: when it's complete.

shewey
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:37 AM
Man, that thing is humungous! Hope you have good step ladder for when you come to do maintenance on it. :-)

Mark.

dynamixcoder
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 01:14 AM
i hope you dont already use that sliding glass door.... is it me or is it not actually blocking most of it....?

but wicked tank size!!!

you guys must make awsome pay to afford that sucker!

my wife would litteraly murder me if i bought something that size!

benkk
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 07:37 AM
just wonder.... are those "pondmater" UV light good brand ??? compare to the one call "Coralife"

coz i am thinking to buy some UV light unit at the moment.....

thanks

taksan
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 08:10 AM
Pondmaster are the only reasonably priced brand IMHO.

shewey
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 08:17 AM
I bought a Pondmaster a couple months back and it has worked a treat!

mark.

dynamixcoder
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 09:31 AM
i agree pondmaster is a cheaper brand... i had a coralife for my red ear slider tank and it seem to have a bad transformer because the bulb lasted like a month as were my pondmaster on my discus system my bulbs last at least 8 monthes at the same wattage.

those ehiem 3's are friggin awsome too, its got a built-in computer to self unclog, flow regulation, wave maker, and time-based ajustable flow rates...

you gotta hand it to the germans for dishin all this out, my next hope is a usb controlled filtration, lighting, and heater so you can control your entire tank system from your PC.. effin sweet!

Robdog
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:04 AM
Hate to tell you Mez, but the cabinet isn't in line with the tiles. Better get those 7 fellas back to shift it a smidgin!

Crackin tank Taksan.

Merrilyn
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:38 AM
It's sitting out from the wall so the big man can fix all the plumbing. Once that's done, he'll probably just levitate it back into place 8-)

gav
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 11:25 AM
i am getting a tank soon of very similar volume (just waiting on delivery). very interesting though to see your choice of filtration, i might just use the same. mine is 180x120x75.

awesome looking tank there though :)

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 11:56 AM
Fantastic gav. What are you keeping in there.

And of course, you do know that piccies are mandatory :lol:

nornicle
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 12:26 PM
Merrilyn, sorry i havent gotten back to you on the macrostoma msg, it was so big i want to send back an equally fitting reply :P

in any case, you do like things big dont you guys! im guessing youre going to keep red tailed cats and arapaima right, because anything else would be sacrilege ;P im kidding! do what you like, keep a school of mosquito fish for all I care, it will still look great!

let us know how those pro 3's go, I never ventured further than the classics, would be nice to see the pro's in action!

nornicle
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 12:41 PM
i forget to mention how totally ass kicking 3 eheim pro 3's ... let alone just 1... what I *AM* surprised though is the choice not to use a W/D sump system.

unless this is what I suspect it will be (a giant planted tank) which then I *suppose* its a logical choice, but not an economical one (but heck its you guys im talking about not cheapskate-Richard). Was there any decision between using multiple 2260's vs. pro 3s?

In the interest of sharing info, here is a damn fantastic review of both the FX5 and the Pro 3 (I personally think the Pro 3 is beyond the FX5 and the FX5 is competing with the 2250/2260 myself)

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68458&highlight=eheim+2078

edit: hillarious. read who wrote it.

gav
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 08:59 PM
merrilyn, not sure what i will be keeping. at present i am still tossing it up. i will either have earth eaters, earth eaters and discus, or all discus. its most likely going to be the combo. i also want to try and keep it fairly well planted as well.

as for filtration, well you may have just changed my mind on having some mini reefs. i know it aint going to be cheap going a similar way to you but damn its tempting!

and yes, there is a pic diary being kept. at this stage its only consists of the pics of my welded metal stand, no stand as flash as your amazing looking one. once the tank is delivered i will get up some pics of the delivery (should be interesting) and of it in place.

Proteus
Mon Sep 03, 2007, 10:55 PM
In the interest of sharing info, here is a damn fantastic review of both the FX5 and the Pro 3 (I personally think the Pro 3 is beyond the FX5 and the FX5 is competing with the 2250/2260 myself)

mmmmmm, looks familiar...

Review was done here by the Resident Spawnographer many moons ago...

Poor old FX5's

OscarManAlpha
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 12:11 AM
in any case, you do like things big dont you guys! im guessing youre going to keep red tailed cats and arapaima right, because anything else would be sacrilege ;P im kidding! do what you like, keep a school of mosquito fish for all I care, it will still look great!

Potamotrygon Leopoldi....

Please say you are going to have some rays in that tank !!

Cheers,

Mark

taksan
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 12:25 AM
You find me a pair of leos and I'll buy them

taksan
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 12:26 AM
in any case, you do like things big dont you guys! im guessing youre going to keep red tailed cats and arapaima right,

That tank is no where near big enough for even one teenage RTC.

Proteus
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:38 AM
That tank is no where near big enough for even one teenage RTC.

Thats what swimming pools are for hey Taksan....

:wink:

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 05, 2007, 03:33 AM
Now if only there was some way of keeping a swimming pool heated in Melbourne's winter, we'd have it full of wild discus :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On second thoughts, Taksan have we seriously looked into the swimming pool thing :wink:

The new tank will be home to a magnificent Australian Saratoga named Jimbo who has the most amazing personality, eats from my fingers and loves to be tickled. Taksan got him when he was a baby, and now he's over 14 inches long.

He will be king of the tank, along with some very large plecos and gibbies who have outgrown their present tank, a raphael catfish I've owned for 6 years and a colony of eartheaters. Not sure at this stage what else will go in the tank. We're still deciding. It all depends on what Jimbo will tolerate. He's not too thrilled with the polini I rescued from a LFS :lol:

No plants, but lots of driftwood and tangled roots.

nicholas76
Wed Sep 05, 2007, 06:42 AM
To fully appreciate that merris you would need a viewing deck from below.

now thats food for thought!

benkk
Sat Sep 08, 2007, 07:51 AM
hi just wonder....

does anyone know any place that does the painting for fish tank's stand into those gloss/polished finishing ?? like the pic that show in Taskan's awsome fish tank...

as i am living in Sydney, can anyone please tell me any place that does this kind of work ?? or maybe even helping ppl to build up a tank stand with the gloss finishing will be really appreciated...

Thanks a lot

Merrilyn
Sat Sep 08, 2007, 08:07 AM
Ben, enquire at a place where they do spraypainting of cars.

That tank stand has several coats of car duco sprayed on it, and then baked under hot lights to achieve a glossy finish.

Most importantly, the finish is water proof.

benkk
Sat Sep 08, 2007, 08:39 AM
Thank you so much for the fast reply Merrilyn

wow man.. that sounds really awsome man.

just wonder do they cost a lot to do that paint at a ll?? like a roughly costs...

also, just wonder.... beside sending the tank to the car workshop for spraypainting, is there any other way to make a such similar finishing ? ?? or even just similar finishing on some stand which is made out of Jebo or Aqua Medic

Thanks again

nicholas76
Sun Sep 09, 2007, 12:26 AM
benkk

I think the type of paint your refering to is called 2-pak. Its that lovely glossy hard paint work. Its used to paint cars too.

in a nutshell you cant do it yourself as you will need a booth, as the fumes are toxic, and a professional would hav eto do it as its a very hard skill to master.

so you are literally better of prepping the cabinet yourself, popping over to the local panel beater bribe him with some cash and a slab and hope he accepts! or simply ring about some cabinet makers and they may direct you.

the paint is cheap, but its a pricey service.

Scrap the idea and consider using normal paint ,, just sand , putty , sand, putty and get that surface as smooth as possible.

ps you can get metalic paint but $$$$$$$$$$.

Xtreme
Fri Sep 28, 2007, 12:44 PM
Any updates?

Tommo
Fri Sep 28, 2007, 09:20 PM
I Have Seen This Tank And It Is Bloody Huge !!! Along With All Of Merrilyn's And Taksan's Fish And.. Well They Are Sensational.A Very Very Very Very Very Impressive Set Up "Now Merrilyn You Need To Go On A Holiday So I Can Steal Everything LOL"

Cheers Andrew

dam-mad
Sat Nov 03, 2007, 06:10 AM
Would love to see pics of this tank stocked,, very very impresvie!!

AHC
Mon Apr 14, 2008, 05:26 AM
HOLY BEJEBUS! just saw this post. Im so jealous. Any photos avaiable? Nice tank guys :shock:

XPLOSV
Mon Apr 14, 2008, 05:52 AM
WOOW OMG you guys sure know how to tease.

now I want one too, however getting pass the commander in charge going to be hard.

more pics plz

dandaman352
Wed Apr 16, 2008, 07:06 AM
"He will be king of the tank, along with some very large plecos and gibbies who have outgrown their present tank, a raphael catfish I've owned for 6 years and a colony of eartheaters"

Hey I was just curious what are "gibbies" and also "eartheaters"

Robdog
Sun Apr 20, 2008, 12:56 PM
Gibbicep pleco and Eartheaters are normally Geophagus sp.

BSW
Sun Apr 20, 2008, 03:57 PM
Would really like to see some updated pics of this tank. Has it been set up yet ? Is it running ?
It is one awesome tank, lucky you.
If you have posted current pics already, please direct me to them -
Thanks
B

Bubbles
Mon Apr 21, 2008, 03:45 AM
Hey Merrilyn,

What a fabulous...wooow factor of a tank & the hubby aint so bad either...... hehehe, it's ok Merrilyn - married, kids & the 22 year thing for me..hehehe.

I want update photo's since your last pic - 29th Aug 2007.

And where is the Benz bling & not to mention the step ladder?

What great team effort, the tank must look amazing, how is Jimbo going?

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 21, 2008, 03:05 PM
Taksan took new photos on Sunday night.

I'll ask him to upload some of them.

Matt15
Mon Apr 21, 2008, 09:50 PM
Taksan took new photos on Sunday night.
I'll ask him to upload some of them.

Sounds good... can't wait to see them :D

BSW
Sat May 03, 2008, 11:10 AM
I'd like to "bump" this up, and see some new pics of that tank !!!
And for Taksan -
Check out this link -
These must be some of your friends ??????
http://http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8952
This tank is only 50,000 - 52,000 gallons !
B

taksan
Sat May 03, 2008, 10:03 PM
Yep ... John and Bill have been friends of mine for years.

BSW
Sun May 04, 2008, 12:46 AM
Yep, it sure made me suspicious !!!!
B

Andy123
Thu May 22, 2008, 07:08 AM
WOOOOOW...i wish i could get a tank that small:P

OscarManAlpha
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 09:34 PM
How is the tank getting on ?

Any chance of an update and some photo's ?

Cheers,

Mark

Merrilyn
Sun Oct 05, 2008, 09:13 AM
Hiya Mark, long time no chat mate :P

I'll get Taksan to get some good shots of the tank. Jimbo still rules the tank, and just tolerates the rest of the inhabitants, so long as they don't intrude into his space :lol:

OscarManAlpha
Sun Oct 05, 2008, 08:27 PM
Sounds great. Looking forward to seeing some new shots of the fish and tanks.

Cheers,

Mark

darren burgess
Tue Nov 04, 2008, 12:05 PM
Now that's a tank love it !

cheers