PDA

View Full Version : Algae problem

eddi
Mon Aug 06, 2007, 04:40 PM
This is not specifically related to Discus, but since it is happening in my Discus tank I hope you will forgive me.

I have a 29G tank with four juvenile Discus (2"). I am experiencing a severe algae problem and do not know why. I do not have algae growing anywhere, but the water has a heavy green tint and there is a distinct algae smell to it. I change water at least every two weeks. Here are the details.

The tank has been running for a few months. After two or three weeks I experienced the first heavy algae issue. The tank is in a 12' x 12' room with a significant amount of natural light, but no direct sun light. At that time I significantlly reduced the amount of natural light. I made a 50% water change and the water returned to crystal clear. In the past 4 weeks the problem has returned; I have made a 50% water change twice, but while that clears up the water a bit, it is never clear and the problems returns within several days. None of the Discus seem to be affected at all.

I have a gravel bottom, a brand new 65W 10K bulb, a Penguin 330 filter with two reservoir filled with AmmoCarb, two carbon filled foam filters and two bio wheels. I do not feed heavily, but maybe just a tad more than I should; however I hardly ever see uneaten food floating around. I feed brine and mysis shrimps as well as blood worms and beef heart (obviously not all at once). I had 4 plants in the tank that I have now removed to see if they were either the cause or a contributing factor. I have SW tanks as well so I filter all my water through a 4 stage RO/DI filter. The water parameters that I can test are as follows:

Temp: 78 (It usually is a little higher, but I just completed a 40% water change)
PH: 6.4
Nitrate: 10
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0

I am out of ideas; any advice you can give will be gratly appreciated. Thanks.

Eddi

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 07, 2007, 05:25 AM
Fitting a UV unit to one of your filters will eliminate your green water problem. It will clear your tank in a matter of days, as well as cutting down on the amount of bacteria and pathogens in your water.

The other thing that concerns me, is that you are only changing the water once every two weeks.

You need to change the water at least twice a week with juveniles, if you want them to thrive. Around 30% twice a week is the minimum amount you should be changing.

Dearra
Tue Aug 07, 2007, 06:14 AM
I totally agree with Merrilyn. I had a algae problem up until Saturday when I bought a UV Steriliser. I cleaned the tank on Saturday before putting it in, scrubbing off a lot of algae especially on the leaves of my plants. There was still some on the leaves that I could not remove BUT today my tank is crystal clear and not a sign of algae anywhere, not even on the leaves. I am over the moon about it.

A question for someone though please. Is my bristlenose going to survive now without the algae growing.

Dearra

eddi
Tue Aug 07, 2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. I do realize the ideal situation is for more frequent water changes, but this tank is in my office so I am limited in what, and when, I can perform maintenance. I will bring in a couple of gallons each day and make large changes on weekends and see if that helps. I simply cannot add a sterilizer.