PDA

View Full Version : Missing Eye Corner

ivo
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 09:06 AM
I have seen several times now some juvenille discus have a corner of their eyes missing. Does anyone know what cause that? Will it grow back as the juvenille is growing? Thanks.

samir
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 10:45 AM
its a genetic defect, will not grow back, a lot of the albinos seem to have it. probably too much inbreeding.

ivo
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 02:23 PM
thank you samir. you are really a discus guru. i guess there is no point to raise those missing eye corner one. its interesting how this genetic deficit occurred tho.

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 04, 2007, 03:32 AM
It's called a chipped eye Ivo, and yes, as Samir has already told you, it's genetic.

I don't know why it happens, but it will show up in the next generation if you breed from them. Same as a deformed dorsal. They really do need to be culled.

Xtreme
Sat Aug 04, 2007, 04:00 AM
Hi all,

In my opinion its a defect that should be culled at birth or close to it
They should never be brought over here nor should they be grown up if local bred either
The reason it happens is not 100% genetic as some get it when young ,so mayb a ammonia or bacterial thing?
At first we thought it was a albino thing but that is not true as it is in other fish as well

HTH

ivo
Sat Aug 04, 2007, 07:36 AM
I agreed. I saw a batch of albino juvenille in an aquarium and a lot of them have chipped eye. Its a shame cos the colour and body shape are good.

goldenpigeon
Sat Aug 04, 2007, 08:03 AM
Andrew Soh says in his book that it is to do with a bacterial infection from when the fish is young. I think he also says the deformity is passed on through the generations.

Ill read up on what he says and get back to you