PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

Erk
Thu Aug 02, 2007, 12:03 AM
This is the pigeon i got from my LFS and has always been bit of a pain and i finally got a pic of him pooping

its long and stringy, and hung there for a while....but its rather dark in color....he breathes heavy, and sometimes flicks himself against my decor :?

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p310/erousseau/IMG_0258.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p310/erousseau/IMG_0252.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p310/erousseau/IMG_0243.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p310/erousseau/IMG_0242.jpg

was thinking of tryin big L?

thanks as always :)
eric

Erk
Thu Aug 02, 2007, 01:43 PM
I do see red poo laying on my substrate....dunno for sure who its from, but last night was the first time I saw the small pigeon or any of my discus for that matter with long stringy poo hanging out...and hanging there for a while!

Sound like a treatment for worms is necessary? I have had my fish for about 4 months, and never wormed them....how old are they before they can be shipped? They are prolly all about 6months or so old by now??

Can anyone advise? I would like to know how much Big L/Gallon?

Thanks very much, as always
Eric

ILLUSN
Thu Aug 02, 2007, 11:06 PM
you US guys and your US gallons
1 US gallon + 4L (near enough)
BigL dosage is 1ml/7L
you'll have to do the rest of the conversion

Erk
Thu Aug 02, 2007, 11:15 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: FAIR ENOUGH!!! :lol: :lol:

I should of checked google or something for the conversion. I just like to hear from the pros....sorry :wink:

174L/7ml=25ml?
:oops: I even have the liter of my tank in my signature :oops:

Prolly if I think a lil bit! :P No water changes for three days.....follow up in a week?

Thank you very much

ILLUSN
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 12:28 AM
spot on mate.

Merrilyn
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 05:45 AM
Eric, you can certainly do a worm treatment with Levamisole if you want to, but those droppings are perfectly normal on your fish.

Whether they hang or not depends on the amount of roughage in the diet, and that can change from day to day. Really nothing to worry about.

When you calculate the amount of water in your tank, remember to allow for the space taken up by driftwood and gravel, and also the fact that we don't fill the tank right up. Usually reducing the water volume by around 10% covers it. So if the manufacturer says your tank is 100 litres, reduce that by 10% (10 litres) to allow for gravel etc.

Your tank holds a maximum of 174 litres, so if you allow 17 litres which brings you back to 157 litres, then work out your dosage on that amount of water.

Your calculation would then be 157 divided by 7 which gives you 22.4. Dose rate is 1 ml per 7 litres, so add 22 ml to the tank to treat for worms.

HTH

Erk
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks very much Merrilyn

I know im supposed to turn the lights off in the tank, during treatment with Big L, and no water changes for three days. Do I need to cover the tank, while the lights are off, and how long do I need to leave them off for? During the whole treatment? (3days) water change before treatment, and a nice water change with a gravel vac and cleaning of the filters after treatment

I think I will give it a go shortly...I think my plants are coming around (finally) and I would like to let them do their thing for a lil bit

Thanks again very much :D
Eric

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 04, 2007, 03:28 AM
Just leave your lights off for 24 hours Eric. That will be fine. No need to cover the tank. Ordinary room light will be ok.

Erk
Sat Aug 04, 2007, 03:25 PM
Thank you Merrilyn :D

I will do this within the next week or two...I wanna see how the plants do for a lil bit yet. Im about 3 bps, the co2 indicator is green, not very much in the way of pearling, so Im still working on the co2 bubble rate, then once I think things are under control, I will do the treatment.

Thanks again

I will let you know how it goes :D

Erk
Mon Aug 06, 2007, 01:02 AM
Just curious when I can turn co2 back on during/after treatment?

I think Im just gonna do it, and get it out of the way....the small pigeon seems to poo quite often, and I can see red poo laying all over the tank....just did a 50% WC yesterday :? :shock:

So here is my plan....do like 25% tomorrow after work, dose big L, leave lights off for 24 hours......water change in three days....repeat treatment in a week. so when is a good time to turn co2 on....in like two weeks after im completely done with everything?

Thanks very much, and these are my last questions about it..haha :wink: :oops: :P

Erk
Tue Aug 07, 2007, 12:38 PM
I dosed 22mL Big L last night...lights off for 24 hours, so about 730pm tonight. The small pigeon didnt seem to like the treatment, but everyone else seems fine....dunno maybe the small pigeon has worms, and thats why he is acting a lil funny

Anyone know when I can turn co2 back on?

Thanks very much :)
Eric

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 07, 2007, 12:56 PM
if you like, i dont turn mine off when i worm my fish

Erk
Tue Aug 07, 2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks ILLUSN....thats interesting...I always thought I had to turn co2 off, and increase airation, and temp.

Well I didnt increase temp, but I do have the lights and co2 off, and airstone on right now

I guess when I turn the lights back on, I will turn the co2 back on too

Thanks very much....good to know for next treatment

Erk
Tue Aug 07, 2007, 09:01 PM
So I get home from work today, and I guess my coralife timer/power center thing was set to "random" and not "off" like I thought it was :( One light bulb was on, but I have no idea how long it was on for.....def. was on during my 24 hour "off" period tho :(

Any suggestions on what to do now?

Thanks very much

Erk
Tue Aug 07, 2007, 09:09 PM
I must have thrown my directions for the timer out, but I think "random" is +/- 15 mins to the time the light is supposed to come on at, so this bulb was supposed to come on at 12, so 1145-1215 :( thats only about 16 hours the lights were off for....not 24 :(

Should I dose it again? I know the timer is set to "off" now

Thanks