PDA

View Full Version : bloodworm everyday??

sportivo888
Wed Aug 01, 2007, 05:21 AM
Hi everyone on this forum Smile

can i feed my discus to eat blood worm everyday?
is this healthy?

i have 9 discus in the community tank but was only 8 that doesn't like eatting tetra colorbit, but they do love blood worm

i try not to feed them blood worm too much because i have low $$$

any advise? or i don't provide much info Smile

sorry about post in a wrong channel
cheer,
steve

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 01, 2007, 05:49 AM
The best thing for discus is a varied diet. In other words, a little bit of everything, and not too much of anything.

Why not try to make up the beefheart recipe. You don't really have to add the salmon or prawns, just add extra vegetables to the mix. It can work out much cheaper than feeding a lot of bloodworm

Bloodworm have a very hard exoskeleton which is not easily digested. Some people think that this can cause a blockage in the intestine if fed too often.

My fish aren't too keen on tetra bits, but they just love Breeders Blend flake food (made by one of our sponsors). You could get a small tin of that and give it a try.

If you feed three times a day, you could make their first meal of the day flake food, next beefheart and last meal bloodworm. That should give them plenty of variety, especially if you put lots of vegies in it.

*Chris*
Wed Aug 01, 2007, 06:25 AM
maybe starve the fish for a few days mate then try the tetra bits again discus are hungry little critters and eventualy (in most cases) take anything that is on offer . the point of starving them is to make them want to eat rather than being picky
hoep that helps
cheers
chris

sportivo888
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 04:03 PM
merrilyn, you are right they don't digest well with bloodworm....the string poo hang out was still look like a worm, i mean 1 big roll and wraped the bloodworm that didn't digested just doesn't have red colour. will my discus get effect cause by this bloodworm?

thank you for the info chris i will try that, :)
steve

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 04, 2007, 03:37 AM
If they're still passing droppings, then they're fine. Nothing to worry about. Just get a bit of variety in their diet and your fish will be healthier.