PDA

View Full Version : Discus scared of light

ctvu
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 02:48 AM
Hi all

My discus are so scared of light whenever I turn on the light – the aquarium one – they are so scared and panting very much and ofcourse they hide in the corner so I have to turn off the light at once. Even though I feed them with beefheart normally they go crazy for this but when the light is on they won’t come out
So would you have any trick to get them to get used to the light? Please
Thanks

ctvu

jim
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 03:23 AM
Use timer for your light, so light will come on and off same time everyday. They will get use to it.

discussushi
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 11:51 AM
do u only have one light?

if not try switching one on at a time, and yes definently use a timer for them so they dont a associate a large black beast throwing light about and pointing out where they are.

Unfortunately Discus dont like alot of light so this is not good if you have them in a planted tank that relies on the light to grow.

Best of luck but dont give up theres no use having discus if u cant enjoy them.

ctvu
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 11:09 PM
Thank you all

Yes I have only one light. And I am using timer currently

Since I have the light the discus are now scared or spooked and darting every where whenever I approach to the tank, before they used to come to glass and begging for the food, not any more :x :( . And I also moved every thing surround the tank that I thought of that could be a cause. It is stressing me out.
Any help would be appreciated.

jim
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 11:33 PM
Do you have any tall / wide leaf plants for them to hide under? It's important to creat some shade for them, so they know where to hide when got scared. Not just stay at the little corner...

I don't have problem with my discus, even I have 3 lights on at the same time for 10 hours a day..

Try not to move thing aroung the tank too much, that will scare the hell out of them. My discus normally hide under shade for at least half a day if I disturb the tank too much..

GOOD LUCK...they should get used to new setup in few days...can also try to give black worm to lure them out..if you really can not wait

parasite
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 11:36 PM
hi, have you thought of adding a few surface plants to provide some shade for them, duckweed or watersprite or even some driftwood

jim
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 11:42 PM
show us some picture of your tank..it's hard to give comment by imagine how your tank looks like.. :-)

ctvu
Thu Oct 28, 2004, 01:06 AM
Thanks a lot all

I think I am going to get some planted driff wood. see how I go