PDA

View Full Version : how long before eco complete clears

Bad Inferno
Mon Jul 30, 2007, 09:17 PM
I added 6 bags of eco to a new tank on Saturday and found even after two days its still a little cloudy. (I'm kinda sorry I did not do a wash before adding) I did stir it up a little last night as I found alot of air still trapped in the substrate however the eco has a lot of very very fine particles that form a cloud when stirred.
How long has it taken before I can expect crystal clear ?

rob

ILLUSN
Mon Jul 30, 2007, 11:57 PM
give it a few days it will settle

Bald_noggin
Tue Jul 31, 2007, 12:27 AM
I didn't wash my eco-complete either. At one stage it went very cloudy but this was probably because of a bacterial bloom as the filter was not mature. It did clear it self up after about a week. I too had to air trapped within the substrate but I didn't bother tooo much about it.

It's interesting now as everything has settle down, to see bubbles appear in the substrate towards the evening. Not sure if it's the anerobic bacteria or the plants roots producing the gas build up but the next morning, it's all gone and it starts again!

Bad Inferno
Tue Jul 31, 2007, 03:23 AM
I'm concerned this black crap is going to contaminate my filter, probably already has....I might just fill it up with filter wool until it clears.

revkev
Tue Jul 31, 2007, 06:57 AM
I just put 4 bags in a 4ft tank with water in it , water was dirty for about 2 hrs after turning filter on then cleared . Filter had been running for over a 2 months with fish in tank befor adding eco-complete. I think your filter was not mature and caused a bacterial bloom. :wink:

Bad Inferno
Tue Jul 31, 2007, 07:15 AM
Yeah its a new filter...I was planning to move my existing fish and all filter media across to the new tank when I get the new tank stable, as far as water parameters goes. Thought the new tank would cope a while with just the mechanical filtration compenent of the new filter.

Bad Inferno
Tue Aug 07, 2007, 11:11 AM
Just to close out this thread, Tank is now clear....UV turned on and the filter has started to work...Don't know how much better I can get it however looks pretty good now. Really come together when I added plants and CO2...don't know if it was the plants CO2 or the filter has just started to work. I added two doses of "CYCLE" to the tank..

cheers rob

Bad Inferno
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 09:36 AM
Just got my conductivity monitor working on this tank and can confirm eco-complete does not raise the hardness of the water....I have noted though KH is running around 3 degrees with my tap water having 0 kh