PDA

View Full Version : Converting my tank

lowporkwa
Sat Jul 28, 2007, 08:24 PM
So i'm getting bored of the whole Piranha scene and im thinking about switching over to a more personable fish like the discus!

Tank is a 65 gallon standard, has a Rena XP3 Canister Filter and a AquaClear 110 H.O.B. filter. Thats more than 10x gph filtration and both are rated for tanks double the size of this one, so i know filtration wont be an issue. The tank is currently already planted with assorted amazonian biotopic plants including swords vals etc... Has been set up for months so obviously its fully cycled. Have CO2 Injection and use Blackwater extract.

Im thinking that the only thing i really will have to do to convert from the piranha to discus is raise the temperature about 5 degrees to around 85 degrees. My Ph is around 6.5 and that is good for them! There shouldnt be too much flow in the tank either, as i heard that discus dont like that, the current is more at the top of the tank so should be no issue whatsover.

Question is, is there anything im forgetting? And How many discus should i look to stock in a tank of this size? THANKS!!

ILLUSN
Sat Jul 28, 2007, 10:44 PM
sounds perfect, make sure you put up pics, make sure youve got plenty of surface movement for O2 exchange with your CO2 set up, and bring up your temp gradually say2 degrees every few days till you reach 86 before adding your fish, will give your plants a chance to adjust.

Erk
Mon Jul 30, 2007, 01:37 PM
Welcome to the forum lowporkwa :D Im a newbie still to discus, but I absolutely love mine...they are great fish, and im sure will make you happy in time.

Sounds like you have a nice setup going there...good work

The "general" rule for discus keeping from what ive read on this site, is 1 adult discus, per 10 gallons of water, so with a 65 gallon, you could prolly put about 6 discus in your tank, depending on water change regime. No less then 4, or they may not be so happy.

Are you planning to keep other "tankmates" in the tank with the discus?

Also, could you please put your "location" in your profile?

Thanks, and good luck :D
Eric