PDA

View Full Version : Plant ID & Trimming Q?

Erk
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 01:12 PM
Can anyone ID this plant for me? Its the one in the back, covered with BBA? I think it is either Ludwigia Peruensis or Telanthera Rosefolia, but I could def. be wrong...its just a stem plant. Im curious how to trim it? I would like to trim the top that is covered wtih BBA off?? Sorry the quality of the photo stinks....the plant in the back left. Its got some green, yellow and different shades of red on it. If its just a stem plant, it should be ok to trim the top off...right? :?

Thanks very much :D
Eric

Erk
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 01:37 PM
I think its Alternanthera reineckii! hahaha

fish_r
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 02:29 PM
if it's the one far back left corner, it looks like some kind of Telanthera "another name is Alternanthera" and yep it's ok to trim the effected areas off it will regrow from the cut point as will all ur stem plants there :wink:

Erk
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks fish_r :D Yes, the plant in the far back left....I know the picture stinks, but it was one I had, so I thought I would use it here quick. I will trim off the top of the stem with the BBA on it tomorrow during my water change. I havent had the greatest growth, so I dont trim very often :? Hopefully things will start to take off soon tho...got a "giant temple" (hygro something) some diandra, and some rotala indica yesteday, so hopefully things will start to perk up. I should receive a surface skimmer tuesday and hopefully the bubble counter splitter and diffuser sometime next week.....should see pearling then! :lol: :wink:

Thanks again :D

fish_r
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 02:54 PM
Hey Eric i dont know why u arnt getting good growth, u should be ? from ur signature am i reading it right that u are running ur lights a total of 17hrs a day ?
6700k 10hrs and 10000k 7hrs, if so there's ur problem cause they arnt getting time to photosynthesize.
ur lights should only be on a total of max 12hrs a day.
i also recon with ur tank size u could get away with only using a lge glass diffuser and u will get PEARLING "lol" :P i havn't really read of any people using an inline reactor and glass diffusers together ?
good luck with the new plants too :wink:

Erk
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks fish_r

I like the new plants, and I hope they do well! I should check my signature, I had the 6700k on for 10hours straight from 12-10, and then from 2-8 I had the 10000 come on along with the 6700k. I have a rhinox5000 ordered and it should be here next week (hopefully) :lol: I have the worst time ordering online anymore :roll:

It was suggested to me to run both the reactor and diffuser together, and have the diffuser account for 20% of the co2 injected into the tank...Im still trying to figure out how that will go. I just want "pearling" :lol: :lol: You already know that tho :lol: :wink:

Thanks again!
Eric

Erk
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 03:18 PM
Forgot to finish this

I had the 6700k on for 10hours straight from 12-10, and then from 2-8 I had the 10000 come on along with the 6700k

Now I have it more or less the same....the 10000K comes on from 3-7

so 12-3 at 2.08wpg, 3-7 at 4.17wpg, 7-10 at 2.08wpg

Thanks