PDA

View Full Version : so i am setting up a tank....

joker-fish
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 01:23 AM
I decided to take down my 210 gal saltwater tank and do a discus tank instead.I will be using as much of my old stuff as i can (since its less than a year old) and was looking for some input,or opinions.

i have:
210 gal tank (6 ft)
72" deluxe lunar aqualight (never used)
40 gal.wet dry filter
catalina 6000 pump (never used)
RO water dispenser
2 heaters

other than the obvious gravel,fish and decorations,am i missing something??am i overkilling?I have never had a discus tank,and i am in no rush to get it set up,i want it done right

any info is greatly appreciated!

ILLUSN
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 02:18 AM
Mate that will be one AWESOME discus tank, (i'm assuming the lunar aqualight is a "normal" light with a moon light component) id go get some quartz sand and some NICE drift wood and your all set.

joker-fish
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 04:33 AM
the light has two 96 watt 10,000k daylight lamps,two 96 watt actinic blue lamps,and six 3/4 watt moon glow lamps

is sand better than gravel? can the two be mixed,say a sand bottom,with gravel spilling over?kind of like a riverbed look?

driftwood is not a problem,i live in louisiana,plenty of old cypress trees around here!

ILLUSN
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 01:55 PM
Sand just looks more natural, and its dense enough so food and poo dont get stuck in it but quartz sand (pool filter sand) has a structure that resists compacting (best of both worlds) with 4x96w (same as what i use) some large (E.bleher, Devils eye, E.ozolet or any ozolet derivative) swords would also look very good in that tank. make sure you put up photos.

apistodiscus
Sat Jul 28, 2007, 10:35 AM
Cypress is a no-go. It's poisonous. Either bog oak, mopani, mangrove or beech