PDA

View Full Version : Alternative dewormers... any vets here?

Professor_J
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 01:14 AM
Hi All

Will soon be getting some fish for my tank - is still cycling...

Anyway was looking at the various threads on deworming fish and have run into a couple of issues.

Prazi is easy to get here (Canada) but Levamisole has been banned for some reason and replaced with Fenbendazole.

Just curious if anyone knows about this med, recommended doses, and where to get it in a safe form for fish... the "Apple-cinnamon flavour paste" for horses that I found probably wouldn't be good for fishies...

Miracoli
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 04:57 AM
Are products from "Sera" sold in Canada?

Sera has just brought out three new products on the market here in Germany, two of which sound very promising for us discus keepers;

1) Sera Flaggelol for Spironucleus und Hexamita (only a single dosage required, kills the parasites in all stages of development

2) Sera Nematol for Camallanus, Capillaria and Oxyurida.

These new medications sound very promising; perhaps you can purchase them in Canada?

fishgeek
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 06:52 AM
i believe levanisol is sold as tramisol in canada

i know some of the on-line stores(jehmco?) do it in the states not sure whether it could be posted or driven across the border with out problems?

fenbendazol is similar family and in theory is an effective antihelminthic - kills round worm,
when used orally it is generally agreed to be safe
use in water is more contentious and i doubt members here would suggest after large losses that were suffered by one dedicated member possibly atributable to fenbendazol use in water

defintely dont use the equine wormer as the sugar may casue a bacterial bloom
discus page holland has a lot of articles about use of panacur(trade name ) in feed

andrew

Professor_J
Mon Jul 30, 2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the info. Will look into tramisol. Something tells me that the stuff coming this way across the border could be problematic if it is coming through direct order and I'm a bit far for a road trip.

Thanks

apistodiscus
Mon Jul 30, 2007, 08:10 PM
can you get JBL products in Canada. They have a brand new one called Gyrodol. Will kill worms and flukes and the best of all you will not have to watch your kH as with so many other treatments.