PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

NicholasC
Thu Jul 26, 2007, 12:38 PM
I have been speaking to The_German recently and i think i am taking a move to Discus :D

So i just have a few beginner questions :D

Is the min number of discus kept at one time the same through all species?

Whats the easiest way to keep the PH bellow 6.0? (cheapest too :))

Is there a particular easy to keep strain or are they all the same?

Also i have been looking at this strain of blue turqoise discus:

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/discus/strains/images/blueturquoise.jpg

Are they common discus to find or more of the professional or rare strain?

Regards

Nic

Merrilyn
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 06:46 AM
Welcome to the forum Nicholas.

Discus are fun to keep, and a lot tougher than most people think.

It's true that they need very soft and slightly acid water to breed, but you can keep them quite happily in water that is around 7 to 7.5 and medium hard.

If this is your first venture into discus, then I'd suggest you stick to the well known strains, like turquoise, snakeskin, blue diamond or marlboro reds, rather than go into the more exotic colours and strains.

The fish in your pic is a blue turquoise, and there are plenty of them around, although most of them won't have quite as much blue on the body as that fish. Have a look around till you find a body pattern that pleases you.

I would suggest you keep at least three, four or more would be better, as discus are a schooling fish, and love the company of their own kind (even if they do push and shove each other at times LOL)

Buy fish that are at least half grown. Very young discus are cheaper, but they are more delicate. Half grown fish have gone past the delicate stage, and will thrive so long as you keep their water clean and offer them lots of good food.

A full grown fish is around 6 inches from nose to the beginning of the tail fin (called standard length) so look for something around 3 inches nose to tail and you should be right.

:P

NicholasC
Sun Jul 29, 2007, 01:42 AM
So avoid fish around 5-6cm?

Also i have a 2.5x1.5x1.5 tank spare is that enough room for a bare bottom 4 discus grow out? I am mainly into growing some small ones up and hopefully get some pairs.

I will do a bit more research before i do anything though :D

Thanks for the help

Regards

Nic

the german
Sun Jul 29, 2007, 07:07 AM
hey nic :D

merrilyin is our guru :D you can follow what she says,shes on the spot all time.

i have phosphoric acid,you can use it too get your ph down,very cheap and save when you dont put it straight in the tank.

michael

djceri_g
Sun Jul 29, 2007, 10:46 AM
Sorry to butt inn but would discus breed in a 6.4 ph? or lower? cheeers

scott bowler
Sun Jul 29, 2007, 10:53 AM
djceri_g
yes they could hope that helps

NicholasC
Mon Jul 30, 2007, 09:08 AM
So what is the min number of discus?, I have seen on the net and heard some saying 3 and some saying at least 10 :shock:

Also Micheal do you think 4 discus could survive in my 2.5x1.5x1 tank rack?

the german
Mon Jul 30, 2007, 01:26 PM
when they are small for a few month would be no prob,i know you take good care of your fish.