PDA

View Full Version : Cheap pump for water changing?

pbates
Wed Jul 25, 2007, 03:46 AM
Any recommendations on a cheap submersible pump to assist with water changes?

Flow rate isn't a big concern but it needs to be able to pump up at least 1.5 meters.

I'll be sticking my water barrel / bin outside on the balcony and the internal floor is a foot higher so the pump needs to be able to push water up to the top of the tank + the floor height difference.

Thanks

goldenpigeon
Wed Jul 25, 2007, 04:59 AM
have a look on www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com

they have a great range of pumps, have a look and see what suits your needs best :D

pbates
Wed Jul 25, 2007, 05:12 AM
That's where I'll probably but it from, but I need to know what pump will work.

I had a 600l/h Eheim pump before and it in theory had a head height of 1.5.
1.5 downhill would be a better description :)

So if anyone can tell me what cheap pump will do that kind of height.
I'm guessing one of those Rio pumps would work, but the question is what rating.

goldenpigeon
Wed Jul 25, 2007, 05:23 AM
well you want something with a rating great than 600l/h thats for sure. you will be standing there all day with a pump that small!

personally, i would go for something with at least 2000l/h, and head height of 3m.

the ocean runner OR2500 (aqua medic i think is the brand) is an excellent pump. i have one (which im not currently using but have) and it is an excellent unit. however for a great pump like that your looking at just over $100.

in reality for the pump you are after you wont get much if any change for $100 anyway....

thats my thoughts :D

HTH

Bill T
Wed Jul 25, 2007, 07:02 AM
Go to Bunnings. Check out the garden section. They should have plenty of "fountain" pumps of varying sizes, and pretty cheap.
Mine is a bit noisy, but who cares if it's only for water changes?

pbates
Wed Jul 25, 2007, 09:04 AM
I'd forgotten about the bunnings option.

I'll be buying a 100ish liter wheely bin from there as my water aging tank as well. From memory they only cost $30.

Tunnel Rat
Wed Jul 25, 2007, 12:09 PM
I'd forgotten about the bunnings option.

I'll be buying a 100ish liter wheely bin from there as my water aging tank as well. From memory they only cost $30.

I use a 9000l/h pondmax (cheap) The best advice I have is go for a high out put like 7000-9000l/h.
Why not buy a 200L drum you can pick them up for $10-25 food grade.

Rat

pbates
Wed Jul 25, 2007, 09:58 PM
my tank is only 180L, so one bin does a 50% change.

And the bin has handy wheels :)