PDA

View Full Version : Tank Sterilization

cleo
Mon Jul 23, 2007, 09:50 PM
Hi Just wondering after reading many posts about discus plague, poisoning etc if the tank should be sterilized or anything if you have had any of this happen. Shoulld plants, wood etc be disposed of? Will any of the rements of either of these remain in the tank and so when you restock the same fate will be had by the new fish? Also can you just used tap water straight from the tap for waterchanges then add the appropriate chemicals?
Thanks

samir
Mon Jul 23, 2007, 11:41 PM
from what I've heard fish recovered from discus plague are carriers, you can add a perfectly healthy discus and the rest can come down with the disease.
i wouldn't add tap water straight to the tank, you may get away with it most of the time but eventually it will bite you in the @ss.

cleo
Mon Jul 23, 2007, 11:58 PM
Thanks Samir I have lost qite a few fish in the last week and am just off to buy some new hose for suction and also for adding water. If I buy to large plastic garbage bins and let thewater stand with airstones running in them for 24 hours would that be okay for water changes. I just looked at my two remaining fish and they both appear to have developed cloudy eyes over night. Nothing much seems to help them so I thought I would do a water change and see how that goes.

Merrilyn
Tue Jul 24, 2007, 04:36 AM
Cleo have you checked the pH in your tank recently. A drop in pH will often cause eyes to cloud.

cleo
Tue Jul 24, 2007, 04:44 AM
Hi Merrilyn I have done just about everything and they are still dying. I am doing a water change at the moment and have been to LFS and they suggested I try some sera products. One Nitrivec and ammovec but on reading them they look very similar products. They thought that I could have had a nitrate spike.