PDA

View Full Version : help with 4 day old free swimmers

coco
Mon Jul 23, 2007, 08:42 AM
my discus have 4 day old free swimmers when can i reintroduce the bio filter because there water get murky from the baby shrip brime. i am doing 2 x 20% water changes a day and can still see sedement through out the water . will this matter ? at the moment i have only small airiator ball . here is a pic

revkev
Mon Jul 23, 2007, 09:16 AM
I use Biotec Ultra Plus Fry Food Size 1 20g
Ultra Plus No BS (Brine Shrimp) Fry Food, eliminates the need to raise baby brine shrimp to feed and rear superior fry, or baby fish. (Size 1 - 100 - 200 microns)
Price: $9.95 just keep up your normal water changes for discus fry
http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2469

Merrilyn
Mon Jul 23, 2007, 12:09 PM
Coco you can put your filter back on now, but just make sure the intake is covered with some filter wool or a sponge so that the fry don't get sucked up.

samir
Mon Jul 23, 2007, 12:24 PM
feed less

Jeroen
Mon Jul 23, 2007, 12:46 PM
More WC
would go to 2x 40% and over a week 2x50% or 1x 80%

samir
Mon Jul 23, 2007, 11:51 PM
Coco, you should put the filter back as soon as all fry attach properly, about a day after free swimming. 4 days free swimming is a bit early for bbs, they usually start eating at day 5 onwards. Any feed before that will mess up the tank and if you dont have a filter, cause a bacteria bloom.

So no filter = no feed or massive water changes. for that size fry i wouldn't do more than 20% wc at a time, also you don't seem to have too many fry so you don't need to change that much water, one 20% per day should be fine if you don't overfeed. Remember we're having water shortages.